Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 6,6k mal aufgerufen und enthält 18 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von Alfredo am

Raspberry MEGA65 image (for Raspberry Pi 400)

• Based on this thread and for a simplier use of the Xemu emulator with the "Raspberry Pi 400", I have expand the Raspberry Pi OS with the installed Xemu emulators (xc65 and xmega65 by LGB-Z and hernandp ).

Similar to the Xemu live system I have included the current version of the MEGA65 User Guide with the menu option for getting updates. KickC and cc65 are included in there current version as development tools.

In the Chromium browser I've preset the "most important bookmarks". :D

Because of possible licensing problems I have uninstalled the originally existing Mathematica and Wolfram. If necessary, these can be reinstalled via the software management of Raspberry Pi OS.

The MEGA65 emulator xmega65 starts with the openROM. The original C65 ROM must be provided by yourself as a copyright reason. The prefered version "911001.bin" should be used and renamed to "MEGA65.ROM". With the menu item "Load ROM" it can then easily be imported from an USB stick or SD card. If desired, the script can also patch it automatically with the patch AI (US variant) and install it appropriately on the system. The whole thing only has to be done once, because in contrast to the live system, all changes are retained on the SD card.

You have to download, unzip and then write the .img file to a microSD card with at least 16 GB and put that into your Raspberry Pi 400.

You can download the Raspberry MEGA65 image (5,7 GB) here: Raspberry MEGA65 image

The always current link is also find at this site. The filehoster sometimes changes the link to the file and I will correct it as soon as I notice that.

The xc65 (C65 emulator) and xmega65 (emulator) by LGB-Z run great at the Raspberry Pi 400.

The xmega65 by hernandp is a little bit "too slow" for the Raspberry Pi 400, because it has implemented many VIC-4 features that costs a lot of speed. But it's still worth a try if you want to see some "VIC-4 stuff" with the emulator.

If you own a Raspberry Pi 400 and want to try ... have fun! :)

• I guess you can 'underclock' a pi 400 as well, in fact, pi 400 IIRC is overclocked pi4, because of having a newer revision of the SoC, allowing that more safely, and also has a huge heatsink metal plate making it safe by default :) About Xemu/MEGA65: as soon as Hernan's changes are merged into the "mainline Xemu" with probable modifications though (optimizations etc), I really want to introduce framedropping to allow to run on slower machines at the price of not every emulated frames being rendered though ...

• Hi Snoopy , thanks a lot for the image, the emulators really work great out of the box :thumbup:

Just a quick question: did you change the pi users default password? I can not ssh into the box due to "wrong password".

Sorry my fault, used the wrong IP (have too many computers :D)

• Great! Any advice for a Raspberry A+/B+? Is there a chance to have a MEGA65 running on one of these, maybe without the fancy VIC-IV functionalities?

I only have a Raspberry Pi 400 here to try out. In principle, the Xemu should also run with weaker Raspberrys. However, I would only recommend the xc65 (C65 emulator). It's fast enough on the Raspberry.

At least I don't know that you can switch off the VIC-IV properties of the xmega65 to achieve a faster performance. Maybe LGB-Z , the developer of the Xemu, can write something about this?

• Great! Any advice for a Raspberry A+/B+? Is there a chance to have a MEGA65 running on one of these, maybe without the fancy VIC-IV functionalities?

I only have a Raspberry Pi 400 here to try out. In principle, the Xemu should also run with weaker Raspberrys. However, I would only recommend the xc65 (C65 emulator). It's fast enough on the Raspberry.

At least I don't know that you can switch off the VIC-IV properties of the xmega65 to achieve a faster performance. Maybe LGB-Z , the developer of the Xemu, can write something about this?

Why, you've already summarized things quite well :) Commodore 65 emulation indeed, is kinda OK. I would say, MEGA65 emulation should work as well, till the point somebody wants to establish "MEGA65 fast" (~40MHz) mode where the power of Raspberry PI is not so much enough any more to run the emulation in real time (still can be used, just slower than it should be). I haven't tested Xemu in Raspberry pi "since ages", so I don't know the current situation to be honest ... But the next branch of Xemu for example about MEGA65 emulation (so not hmw ...) uses a VIC-IV emulation which is so crude, it cannot be done too much with "less VIC-IV fancy stuff" :) So if that can't run real-time either on Raspberry, then we can't do too much, since then it's the CPU emulation performance (etc , ...) is the bottleneck. Though for sure, never say the final word, I have some unfinished works (currently not in the priority list unfortunately) to re-structure memory access emulation (and also CPU emulation) which can (just guessing now!!!) speed up CPU emulation significantly in the future.

Other than these, it's kinda interesting idea to have a "crude" VIC-IV emulation layer as well for "slow" computers. However the problem that where you draw the line. Emulated MEGA65 should "boot" and at least BASIC, and things should work, this already needs quite substance of VIC-IV emulation (even if crude) and then we would have double work to maintain two kind of VIC-IV emulations, "crude but fast" and "better but slower" :-/ But surely, it's very much depends what we think about "without the fancy VIC-IV functionalities" :) Without ANY video output, it would be much faster I guess, for example ;) But that's not so much useful.

• Moin Snoopy

Ich fand deinen Ansatz sehr interessant und wollte mir den XEmu auf meinem Pi400 nun auch installieren (kompilieren) unter ARM64, leider bekomme ich keine GUI angezeigt, es sind auch keine vorhanden wenn ich mit der Option -gui starte ... eine Idee was ich da beim kompilieren beachten muss ?

• Moin Snoopy

Ich fand deinen Ansatz sehr interessant und wollte mir den XEmu auf meinem Pi400 nun auch installieren (kompilieren) unter ARM64, leider bekomme ich keine GUI angezeigt, es sind auch keine vorhanden wenn ich mit der Option -gui starte ... eine Idee was ich da beim kompilieren beachten muss ?

Du brauchst die GTK3-Dev-Libs, um ein Menü angezeigt zu bekommen. Am besten, mal schauen, ob du alle benötigten Libs installiert hast:

• Sorry to answer in English, but I don't speak German, and I even used google translate to be able to understand the discussion here. Since you want to _compile_ Xemu you don't need only the GTK3 libraries but the development version as well (surely if you also _compiled_ VICE with GTK3, then it's fine). As README of Xemu says, you need to have the "libgtk-3-dev" package (I believe at least, it's the same on raspi as well).

• Sorry to answer in English, but I don't speak German, and I even used google translate to be able to understand the discussion here

Same ... so thanks for answering in English!

I really love that we've such an active and talented German user community for C64 & Mega65. And we have our Germany friends to thank for the Mega65 itself!

Where possible, if they're knowledgeable in English then if they can please post in it ... that'll help us to all understand each other

• Hi,
    i successfully installed it on my Raspi3A+ Thank you Snoopy for the image

I can use the 911001.bin as described above and the provided Basic programs are working.

Now i wanted to use ROM 920377 inside Xemu. I loaded 910828.bin patched it with bspatch
    with 920377.bdf, renamed it to MEGA65.ROM and
    loaded it again via "load rom" but after that process I get only a black screen.

Any hint, what I'm missing?