Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 567 mal aufgerufen und enthält 0 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von rossb am

Filter BIAS explanation

• Hi,

I wonder if anyone could explain the filter BIAS settings in some detail to me? I use Lightforce as a test on a lot of my "real" SIDs due to the heavy use of filters and it also plays some very high notes which tend to get cut off or missed on SIDs with hard,faulty or restrictive filters. I noticed that the default filter BIAS of 0 exhibits this same cut off when playing Lightforce, so I increased to +7 and the Filter was too light, I finally settled on +5 and LF sounds pretty much spot on, like it does on my good sounding (subjective I know) R3 SIDS. Am I understanding the BIAS value correctly? Does anyone have a a "BIAS MAP" for say emulating specific 6581 revisions etc, I apprecuate they vary wildly in sound even on the same rev but just some rough guidelines. I did notice one reviewer mentioned that he liked Filter BIAS 0 but for me some of the SIDs I played sounded choked with this default BIAS value. Also am I correct in assuming that DAC should be "crunchy" for 6581 and "linear" for 8580 in order to sound as close to their physical counterparts as possible?

Any help, guidance or detailed explanation much appreciated. Love the FPGA SID thus far, just waiting for a luma and chroma to svideo splitter so I can take the video and second SID feed out in to my Monitor and AMP :-)

Regards,

Ross.