Hello, Guest the thread was called341 times and contains 13 replays

last post from Snoopy at the

ScummVM as a „Killer-App“ for the Mega65?

• Hi,

I wondered why in all those years since 1990 nobody really succeed (or even tried) to get Monkey Island Running on a C64.

Maybe just impossible because of the effort/amount of data/graphics...

ScummVM is a Great Emulator Software for the good old Lucasfilm/-Arts adventures and maybe the Mega65 could be powerful enough for ScummVM?

At least for the initial games that weren‘t available on the C64 like Indiana Jones or Monkey Island.

There would be already a library of „some“ adventures for the native Mega65 with such an ScummVM implementation...

What do you think?

Wishful thinking as the Mega65 would be still to slow/small?

Or way to difficult to develop the emulator to the Mega65...?

Regards,

Oliver

• Go ahead :-)

But something that runs better on any/most other.platforms is hardly a 'killer app'.

Some MI would surely attract some people but the time spent on such an endeavor would be much better used for an unique and possibly exclusive NEW game.

• Hi enthusi,

I would love to contribute but back in 1998 my boss decides that I‘m dramatically better in talking about Computer related topics (mainly CRM) than programming software or writing SQL code :-)

I‘m amazed about new games for the C64 or other „old stuff“ but these games will always be only something for few fans. Difficult to create awareness beyond some boards and Facebook groups.

But I found out for example that there is a way to „easy“ (it‘s not but not as difficult as rewriting everything) way to modify Atari ST games to play them on an Atari Jaguar.

Amazing! Some of these games even run faster/better because of the higher clock rate.

A lot of fans buy these games as carts because they KNOW the games from the 199x and want to play them on a real Jag. (And of course they could easily run any ST emulator)

So the Game names are catching attention...

„Monky Island available on Mega65“ will cause more attraction than „Gummybear65 now available“ even if the latter would be a perfect new game.

• Yes, certainly. But why do you want the attention then anyway? There is plenty of plattforms with more attention out there already.

Sam's Journey was named a reason to get a C64 recently by a major German game (not retro!) Magazine.

A MonkeyIsland would get more attention but quite different.

And noone would be positively surprised what a recent computer manages to achieve I guess.

• I can not imaging a program that can be such a "killer app" for the Mega65 that someone would buy the Mega65 only because of this program.

ScummVM runs perfect on any PC. So there is no need to buy another computer for playing Scumm games.

The Mega65 is and will be interesting because of the "new old" hardware. Not because of any software.

• I can not imaging a program that can be such a "killer app" for the Mega65 that someone would buy the Mega65 only because of this program.

ScummVM runs perfect on any PC. So there is no need to buy another computer for playing Scumm games.

The Mega65 is and will be interesting because of the "new old" hardware. Not because of any software.

There‘s a lot of truth in what you are writing.

But...

Without dedicated Mega65 (or C65) Software the Mega65 will become a somewhat C128 of the 2020s.

Almost every C128 ran more than 9x% of the Time in C64 Mode.

I have no idea how many enthusiasts will buy the Mega65 anyway (and I hope that there are a lot!) but there has to be a reason to spend that amount of money...

• My reason and main interest in the Mega65 is the C65 mode. To program for the "lost" Commodore computer. Testing, what would be possible with the hardware who didn't see the light these years ago.

For playing games or using other software I see no use of buying a Mega65. There is no program which is only possible on the Mega65. It is an "old" computer, even it is a very new one.

• For playing games or using other software I see no use of buying a Mega65. There is no program which is only possible on the Mega65. It is an "old" computer, even it is a very new one.

Sorry but I like to correct you. You can see by the fact that XEMU MEGA65, which is not accurately emulating the MEGA65 and is optimized for speed, only runs at less than 40% speed even on a very modern and very fast PC that the MEGA65 is a very modern computer in many ways. Yes, it is based on an old 8-bit structure and an old CPU but still very very quick and including many modern things. The whole VHDL computer idea is quite new too! An X86 CPU with modern additions can also be referred to as a very old CPU or architecture, right? What about the ARM, is that new? I don't think so.

• For playing games or using other software I see no use of buying a Mega65. There is no program which is only possible on the Mega65. It is an "old" computer, even it is a very new one.

Sorry but I like to correct you. You can see by the fact that XEMU MEGA65, which is not accurately emulating the MEGA65 and is optimized for speed, only runs at less than 40% speed even on a very modern and very fast PC that the MEGA65 is a very modern computer in many ways. Yes, it is based on an old 8-bit structure and an old CPU but still very very quick and including many modern things. The whole VHDL computer idea is quite new too! An X86 CPU with modern additions can also be referred to as a very old CPU or architecture, right? What about the ARM, is that new? I don't think so.

I mean it in the way, that I can't imagine a software (game or application) who runs better on the Mega65 as on a modern PC. So software isn't my reason to buy the Mega65 (or in my case: the Nexys board).

I like the feeling to "play" (programing) with a 8 bit computer (in the positive meaning of "old"). To test what's possible to do with it and discover what were possible, if Commodore had released the C65 in these further days.

Or short: getting some emotions and feelings back from my personal beginnings with computers. :love:

• In that case your choice must be the Ultimate64 or an original C64. The C65 is a new class of 8 bit computer with new functions and opportunities. I like to code a program in Basic10 and run it in high speed without the need to code it in assembler. For instance have a look to the DMA command.

The Mega65 is not a machine for those who are looking for an new C64 only, but for those who are looking for machine with further capabilities. That's my intention.

• The C65 is a new class of 8 bit computer with new functions and opportunities.

That's the main reason I'm interested in the Mega65: The C65 mode.

If you know "nearly every bit" in of the C64 in the past 30 years, it's a new opportunity to discover the C65 (a 8 bit computer planned, but never relased from Commodore) in the way, the Mega65 will deliver.

Because I don't have enough money for a real C65 :D, I choose the next best way at the moment and ordered a Nexys board. I used the Xemu emulator in the last few weeks. It is a good piece of work, but some parts aren't implemented (yet). So I'll try to have some fun with the board and the Mega65 bitstream.

Maybe I should give my wife a actual photo from me. I think she wouldn't see me for a long time, when the board has arrived. :)