Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 4,6k mal aufgerufen und enthält 39 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von ZeHa am

[Poll only for interest] How do you think about buying a Mega65?

• How do you think about buying a Mega65? 89

1. Shut up and take my money! Whatever it'll cost, I'll buy the Mega65! (14) 16%
    2. It's a great machine! I will buy it if the price is not more than about 500 EUR. (13) 15%
    3. I'm very interested in the Mega65, but something about 300 EUR is my personal limit. (22) 25%
    4. I'm interested, but prefer to wait and decide after the first ones are sold (after reading reviews and so on) (11) 12%
    5. It's a nice project, but I don't plan to buy a Mega65. (24) 27%
    6. No, go out of my way! I'll never buy a Mega65. (5) 6%

Reading these lines from adtbm in this post here ...

And to take preorders, we would need to able to set a price, but we are not allowed to make profit, so we just can't set a price, because we don't know how many people would preorder. You see, it's a "chicken/egg what came first" thing....

I thought about a poll about the general interest in buying a Mega65.

Of course this is NOT an official preorder or something else.

It's just about to get a first impression about how is the interest in buying a Mega65.

So how do you think about buying a Mega65? :zeig:

• I'm sorry to say, that I'm not interested to buy a C65 (new or old).

While I admire the idea and the development, I'm not interested in buying it.

That is, because my relationship to old computers (especialy Commodore), is the relationship to my youth, not a "collector thing". But the C65 never was a part of my youth.

Stefan

• Oder er will, ihn gleich ihn unter die Erde bringen, be vor er geboren wird.

???

Entweder stehe ich auf dem Schlauch oder ich weiß absolut nicht was du meinst.

Mich interessiert das Mega65-Projekt sehr. Deswegen habe ich ja nach dem Lesen des Post ("because we don't know how many people would preorder") die Umfrage gemacht, um vielleicht so das Interesse an einem Kauf ein bisschen besser einschätzen zu können.

Falls wider Erwarten diese Umfrage negativ ausgelegt werden kann, dann bitte ich um Löschung des Threads. Das ist nicht meine Absicht.

• Ich habe auch nicht den Eindruck dass Snoopy hier böse Absichten hat. Was ich aber sehr ungut finde ist dass dort schon Preisregionen in den Optionen stehen. Das könnte u.U. von seiten des Teams unerwünscht sein. Ich würde so eine Umfrage lieber beantworten wenn ich wüsste dass das Team die gestellt hat oder dass sie zumindest mit den Optionen einverstanden sind. Habe daher auch noch nichts angekreuzt, zumal ich zudem auch zwischen zwei Optionen stehen würde und daher lieber warte was das Team zu der Umfrage sagt.

• I also think Snoopy had good intentions with it.

We (M-E-G-A) didn't start such a survey, since we knew that this would be only representitive to a certain degree

and more important we can't barter about the price anyway. Once the MEGA65 will be produced, then

we can say exactly ! That's how much the MEGA65 will cost. (Everybody who follows this project now for a while and

knows about the different components we are using, probably has an estimated price in his/her head anyway already)

So if you want to use this poll you are free to do so, but we will not use any of these results, since we won't agree

on the prices set in this survey.

If Snoopy wants me to delete it, it's fine with me. also if he wants to leave it running, we wouldn't mind either.

so if you want, you can certainly use this poll, but the MEGA65 team is not part in this, we don't use this data, and we

are not responsible for any values given in this poll.

So, yes it is a nice idea, but even if 99,99% of the people participating in this poll would go for "a personal limit of 300€"

we couldn't change it anyway.

We will build the MEGA65 for the lowest possible price but to the highst quality standard. This is our goal ! And that's what we promise !

So maybe it's possible to get an overview like "How many people are interested in the MEGA65"

but this is something we know already by the amount of money donated by so many people !

So we know, that the MEGA65 is a product that the people would like to see.

Last but not least: HEY SNOOPY ! You forgot Choplifter !!!! ;-)

(even if we are only a subforum on forum64, the rules still appy)

• If Snoopy wants me to delete it, it's fine with me. also if he wants to leave it running, we wouldn't mind either.

Ok, so please let the poll running.

... we can't barter about the price anyway. Once the MEGA65 will be produced, then

we can say exactly ! That's how much the MEGA65 will cost.

The costs of production of the parts highly depends on the produced number of pieces. It'll make a great difference whether you want 50, 500, 5.000 or 50.000 parts.

So how will you calculate the costs of production if you don't know how much items you want to be produced? That's one intention why I started the poll.

During my time as a developer it would be our greatest dream to develop the highest possible quality without looking at the final price for the customers. So it's a great luck that you don't be allowed to make financial profit with the Mega65 because the final price is no issue.

Otherwise this is one of the "problem" I see.

So, yes it is a nice idea, but even if 99,99% of the people participating in this poll would go for "a personal limit of 300€"

we couldn't change it anyway.

We will build the MEGA65 for the lowest possible price but to the highst quality standard. This is our goal ! And that's what we promise !)

I can hardly imagine that it's no concern for you and the team if you realize that many more people want to buy a Mega65 if the price isn't too high. As a developer it was always a good feeling to see that many people can use the developed item.

Maybe it would be possible in addition to the complete Mega65 to sell it also without the case or maybe even without the keyboard for a lower price? Only the board with a possibilty to connect a normal USB keyboard can be sell for a lower price and so you can reach a lot more people who want to use the Mega65 but can not afford the price for the complete item?

Zitat

Last but not least: HEY SNOOPY ! You forgot Choplifter !!!! ;-)

(even if we are only a subforum on forum64, the rules still appy)

Upps ... sorry I forgot the most important part at the poll. I promise to add it in the next one. :)

• Ich habe auch nicht den Eindruck dass Snoopy hier böse Absichten hat. Was ich aber sehr ungut finde ist dass dort schon Preisregionen in den Optionen stehen.

Da stehen ja keine konkreten Preise, sondern nur die Frage wasdie Leute bereit wären zu zahlen. Das ist ja völlig unabhängig vom tatsächlichen Preis, was auch immer der dann sein wird.

Ich würde jedenfalls nicht mehr als 300€ zahlen wollen, eher sogar darunter. Finde den Rechner zwar interessant, aber für mich ist das ein Spielzeug ohne Vergangenheit. Insofern habe ich keine emotionale Bindung dazu und ich erwarte auch nicht dass das Softwareangebot allzu gross sein wird. Nur zum rumspielen will ich dann aber auch nicht SO übertrieben viel dafür ausgeben.

Und selbst wenn das Softwareangebot da wäre, dann wäre das ja wohl eher eine Spielmaschine.

Ich sehe da kein richtiges Alleinstelljungsmerkmal als Killerargument, ausser eben der emotionalen Nähe zu Commodore. Für mich klingt das halt wie ein aufgebohrter C64.

• Zitat

The costs of production of the parts highly depends on the produced number of pieces. It'll make a great difference whether you want 50, 500, 5.000 or 50.000 parts.

So how will you calculate the costs of production if you don't know how much items you want to be produced? That's one intention why I started the poll.

I think what adtbm wanted to explain is, that the number of pieces is NOT really relevant, because they do not need to make money at the end. You are thinking from a commercial producer perspective (no offence) where you have to set the correct price before you even start designing a product. AND that price MUST NOT be too high to be successful, so the number of expected units sold is of EXTREME importance. OF COURSE everybody wants to have the MEGA as cheap as possible AND OF COURSE producing more makes it cheaper, but that's NOT the point. When the MEGA is ready to be produced they will decide a number (by whatever means [my guess would be by starting a pre-order campaign]) to produce and that number WILL determine an exact price to break even for that single patch of devices. if there will be a next batch, the price could be different.

IMHO that is the main reason for asking for donations for the case molds. It makes perfect sense, because the molds are the highest single cost and extremely relevant for the per unit cost and thus the most important factor regarding price at different numbers of units sold. This way they get this uncertainty out of the equation. VERY SMART!

All other parts are not that sensitive to numbers produced. I'd would guess when you aim for batches like 500-1000 pieces you are already at a good price point. making 3000 does not yield you much, and making 10000 is probably out of the question anyway.

All what I've seen yet, how the MEGA team handles different issues makes me believe they KNOW very well what they are doing. They have my trust, and my respect.

best regards...

clemens

• Also wenn hier mehr als 50.000 Leute für unter 300€ voten, könnte das Team entsprechend umplanen :thumbsup:

• When the MEGA is ready to be produced they will decide a number (by whatever means [my guess would be by starting a pre-order campaign]) to produce and that number WILL determine an exact price to break even for that single patch of devices.

And here we are at the "chicken-egg" problem again:

If they start pre-ordering the Mega65 they have to name a price for it. And they can not name the price without knowing how much items they have to produce because the costs depend on the number of pieces.

• Ich habe auch nicht den Eindruck dass Snoopy hier böse Absichten hat. Was ich aber sehr ungut finde ist dass dort schon Preisregionen in den Optionen stehen.

Da stehen ja keine konkreten Preise, sondern nur die Frage wasdie Leute bereit wären zu zahlen. Das ist ja völlig unabhängig vom tatsächlichen Preis, was auch immer der dann sein wird.

So war es auch gedacht. Die Preisgrenzen in der Umfrage sind aus meinen Gesprächen im Bekanntenkreis (mit "Retrobezug") entstanden. 300 EUR und 500 EUR wurden da als persönliche Grenze erwähnt. Deutlich über 500 EUR wird die Luft einfach "sehr dünn" für einen neuen 8 bit-Rechner. Teilequalität hin oder her.

• So war es auch gedacht. Die Preisgrenzen in der Umfrage sind aus meinen Gesprächen im Bekanntenkreis (mit "Retrobezug") entstanden. 300 EUR und 500 EUR wurden da als persönliche Grenze erwähnt. Deutlich über 500 EUR wird die Luft einfach "sehr dünn" für einen neuen 8 bit-Rechner. Teilequalität hin oder her.

Naja, mehr als 500 für einen reinen C65, da wird es definitiv dünn.

Wenn es aber als FPGA Board gesehen wird, und es irgendwann viele neue Cores gibt …

Dann sieht die Welt wieder anders aus.

• Da gibt es doch schon den MIST bzw. MISTer für deutlich unter 500 EUR.

• Ich wuerde nicht mehr ausgeben, als ein vergleichbares historisches Geraet kostet heutzutage.

Gut, mehr als 80.000 wollte ich jetzt auch nicht unbedingt zahlen :D

• Natürlich gibt es den Mist(er), ist ja auch ein tolles Ding.

Aber es ist halt nochmals ein Unterschied, ob ich eine schwarze Blackbox mit VGA Ausgang bekomme, oder ein wunderschönes C65 Gehäuse mit Floppy und Keyboard.

Also mir ist ein schönes Gehäuse mit Keyboard und Floppy schon was wert …

Der WAF ist auch viel besser. Man kann ein C65 im Wohnzimmer stehen lassen, einen Mister eher nicht, außer man hat eine Nerd Freundin … :D

Dass Optik bei den meisten Menschen viel ausmacht, sieht man am iPhone.

Dafür geben menschen 1300€ aus statt 400€.

Die inneren Werte können es nicht sein.

• Dass Optik bei den meisten Menschen viel ausmacht, sieht man am iPhone.

Dafür geben menschen 1300€ aus statt 400€.

Die inneren Werte können es nicht sein.

*köderschluck* Genau, das iPhone 11 Pro Max ist schließlich nichts anderes ein angemaltes Huawei P20 Lite! :P