Hello, Guest the thread was called17k times and contains 201 replays

last post from kinzi at the

Mein erster VC20 (Oder: Ugh! Kann man bei dem Bild noch was machen?)

• Yellow wire = Chroma.

Black wire = obsolete, is the GND wire from the output pin header.

Orange wire = as I said, replaces the original function of pin 1 of the VIC-20. According to https://www.c64-wiki.de/wiki/Audio-/Videobuchse the C64 has +5 V on pin 8. This is done by this orange wire.

HTH.

"Wenn du überredet, ermahnt, unter Druck gesetzt, belogen, durch Anreize gelockt, gezwungen, gemobbt, bloßgestellt, beschuldigt, bedroht, bestraft und kriminalisiert werden musst. Wenn all dies als notwendig erachtet wird, um deine Zustimmung zu erlangen, dann kannst du absolut sicher sein, dass das, was angepriesen wird, nicht zu deinem Besten ist." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Steve Jobs hat User hervorgebracht, Jack Tramiel Experten." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Mein Herr, ich teile Ihre Meinung nicht, aber ich würde mein Leben dafür einsetzen, dass Sie sie äußern dürfen." - Voltaire.

"Diskutiere nie mit einem Idioten - er zieht dich auf sein Niveau hinunter und schlägt dich dort mit seiner Erfahrung!" - Volksweisheit.

• That's the photo. :)Thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't need to worry about the voltage being passed since I will never be using an external RF modulator and it won't be needed for my C64 compatible output either.

As for the other pin assignments, I see I am not done yet. :)I was under the false assumption that the pin assignments were the same / similar from the VIC-20 5 pin AV port and the C64 5 pin port so the other pins would be unchanged.

Following your advice:

"OR, change the pinout to be fully compatible C64 = Use pin 6, cut pin 4/5, connect pin 1 for Luma."

Hmmm .... pins 4 and 5 are "Video Low and High" on the VIC-20. So when you say cut these, could I just do this on the AV connector side just like I did for pins 6, 7, 8?

Where would I pull Luma from on the VIC-20 side? From somewhere on the new PCB or the VIC-20 PCB? Perhaps directly from pin 3 on the VIC?

• Hmmm .... pins 4 and 5 are "Video Low and High" on the VIC-20. So when you say cut these, could I just do this on the AV connector side just like I did for pins 6, 7, 8?

I did this on the PCB in the area of the AV socket. Cut connection 4 <-> 5 and cut wire leading from VIC to pin 4. Rewire this connection to pin 1.

Where would I pull Luma from on the VIC-20 side? From somewhere on the new PCB or the VIC-20 PCB? Perhaps directly from pin 3 on the VIC?

What was CVBS (and still is, if setting the jumper one the adapter PCB to "Composite") becomes "Luma" when setting the jumper on the adapter PCB to "chroma": So, as mentioned above, rewire the CVBS-trace from pin 4 to pin 1. Done,

"Wenn du überredet, ermahnt, unter Druck gesetzt, belogen, durch Anreize gelockt, gezwungen, gemobbt, bloßgestellt, beschuldigt, bedroht, bestraft und kriminalisiert werden musst. Wenn all dies als notwendig erachtet wird, um deine Zustimmung zu erlangen, dann kannst du absolut sicher sein, dass das, was angepriesen wird, nicht zu deinem Besten ist." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Steve Jobs hat User hervorgebracht, Jack Tramiel Experten." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Mein Herr, ich teile Ihre Meinung nicht, aber ich würde mein Leben dafür einsetzen, dass Sie sie äußern dürfen." - Voltaire.

"Diskutiere nie mit einem Idioten - er zieht dich auf sein Niveau hinunter und schlägt dich dort mit seiner Erfahrung!" - Volksweisheit.

• Maybe it becomes clearer viewing this pic:

This is the original wiring inside the VIC-20.

All I did was rerouting the yellow wire through another transistor stage on the adapter pcb.

What was CVBS (green) becomes "Luma" now, but it is on the wrong pin 4 (from C64 connector view). Since this signal is "Luma" now it should be re-routed to pjn 1.

Using the jumper on the adapter PCB you can either select to route chroma like in the schema above or through the seperate stage.

• Please forgive my confusion.

I understand the point of the Chroma/Luma separation and also the bridging of chroma on the PCB with the jumper (pin 2 on the VIC). I am unclear on the best place to reroute the Luma to pin 1. Directly on the 8 pin A/V connector itself? And I would still need to disconnect pins 4 and 5 from the VIC-20 PCB on the A/V port? Some example photos for this part would be helpful. I always do better with the real world results vs schematics. Again, my fault.

Also, when I look at kbjunkie's post, I am wondering why he did not choose to use pin 6. He is clearly making his own cable on the other end but I would think everyone would want a C64 compatible connection since that allows existing cables and adapters to be used. That was the goal I had in mind. Perhaps he is making his own cable so he doesn't have to reroute Luma.

• Directly on the 8 pin A/V connector itself?

I can take photos tomorrow how I did that.

And I would still need to disconnect pins 4 and 5 from the VIC-20 PCB on the A/V port?

Pin 4 is CVBS on C64 - that would not matter. In fact, it might be clever anyway, so you can use a CVBS cable, too when setting the jumper accordingly.

Pin 5 is AUDIO_IN on C64 - you might not want to have VIDEO out on that pin.

It's up to you, anyway. I wanted it 100 % identical. ^^

Also, when I look at kbjunkie's post, I am wondering why he did not choose to use pin 6. He is clearly making his own cable on the other end but I would think everyone would want a C64 compatible connection since that allows existing cables and adapters to be used. That was the goal I had in mind.

I fully second that.

Perhaps he is making his own cable so he doesn't have to reroute Luma.

Must be.

• I'm not sure which pin (4 or 5) is connected to the VIC.

IIRC it is pin 5, that's another reason why I cut both finally.

If it is pin 4, then yes - cut 4 <-> 5 and connect 4 <-> 1.

• OK, had a look at my VIC-20 Test-Board ... there I solely connected pins 1 and 4 with a solder blob, no cutting. Chroma goes to pin 6, of course.

This leaves the board in a state where VIC-20 and C64 cables can be connected.

I was too lazy to cut the trace connecting pins 4 <-> 5 on my test board, but I'm pretty sure I did that on two other VIC-20 that I pimped with the S-Video-mod to ensure no external signal is fed back to the VIC-20 video circuit.

So I'd recommend:

• Cut connection between pins 4 and 5 on the bottom side of the PCB. This leaves pin 5 isolated.
    • Remove connection of pin 1 to Vcc on the top side of the PCB.

I have cut it at the position marked with the yellow arrow. This leaves the pad/via to the right intact to get the +5 V for pin 8 (red wire).
    • Only after this, connect pins 1 and 4 on the bottom side with a solder blod or a piece of wire.
    • Optionally, connect pin 8 to the pad as illustrated above.

• Okay, I think I am able to follow your steps.

I was confused at first by the severing of the trace on top and then your red wire connection to pin 8 but I see this is not so much about getting +5V to pin8 as it is preventing +5V getting to pin 1!

I am not aware of any requirements for +5V on the C64's A/V port. So I may not need to add the wire to pin 8 unless I really want 100% C64 port compatibility for some application, is that correct?

I am getting close.....

• I see this is not so much about getting +5V to pin8 as it is preventing +5V getting to pin 1!

Absolutely correct!

I am not aware of any requirements for +5V on the C64's A/V port. So I may not need to add the wire to pin 8 unless I really want 100% C64 port compatibility for some application, is that correct?

Also correct.

I use the +5 V to power my CVBS -> VGA converter so I don't need an extra power supply. But yes, I guess it is used seldomly.

I am getting close.....

Pretty much. ^^

• You're welcome.

Great it works for you. Have fun! ^^

• Really happy with the result

Which HP monitor do you use? Looks really great!

It is an HP ZR2440w.

It does not support composite or s-video natively. I am using a StarTech S-Video to VGA adapter. It is great for my test bench but I wouldn't use it for anything serious as it introduces lag and artifacts with any scrolling. Better to go with a RetroTINK. I actually had the first model for a short time but it had some drawbacks. I am considering getting the RetroTINK 2x pro, however. It has solved most of the issues I was seeing.

Getting back to the VIC-20 and S-Video, I am very happy with the result as I stated. Much improved over the original composite. I am wondering if it can be improved upon even more, though. With some color combinations, I am seeing smearing. Black text on a red background, for example. Perhaps something similar could be done that has been done with the C64's RF area (

).

I know the VIC-20 doesn't actually have an internal RF mod but there are still a lot of components in the video area.

• Hallo zusammen,

kinzi : damit auch ich Depp das richtig verstehe hier noch mal die Nachfrage:

Um die Video Buchse auf C64-Kompatibilitaet umzubauen, nehme ich eine 8 Pin Buchse vom C64, loete an Pin 6 Chroma von Deinem Adapter Board.

Als naechstest trenne ich auf dem VC-20 PCB die Leitungen 1, 4 und 5 und verbinde dann Leitung von 5 vom VIC kommend mit dem Pin 1 der Buchse, die ja jetzt frei ist, da ich die Leiterbahn getrennt habe.

Korrekt?

Danke!

Martin

• Um die Video Buchse auf C64-Kompatibilitaet umzubauen, nehme ich eine 8 Pin Buchse vom C64,

Ja. ^^

loete an Pin 6 Chroma von Deinem Adapter Board.

Ja. ^^

Als naechstest trenne ich auf dem VC-20 PCB die Leitungen 1, 4 und 5

Was vorher an 4/5 ging, geht nun an 1, richtig. ^^

1 = Luma

6 = Chroma

Dann hat man C64-Kompatibilität. Wenn man +5 V an 7 oder 8 will, muss man noch "das, was vorher an 1 ging", damit verbinden.

• Da werde ich mir die 5V fuer den VGA/HDMI Adapter woanders holen. :D

Das geht aber wirklich leicht, wenn du dir die Bilder ansiehst.