Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 17k mal aufgerufen und enthält 113 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von Freddy am

Mega 65 emulator

• Well, I am open for suggestion, as I see things very much from developer view point, which may not be the same as the user experience, well, "may not" ... better say "certainly it is not". Though it would be great to hear other people's opinion as well. Not because I don't trust you seeing this as a problem, just because it was never mentioned by anybody other, and I would prefer to see more opinions.

"It make no sense as its a text window." - what do you mean? it's possible to have mouse in any mode. type in C65 mode "MOUSE ON" and be sure to have the mouse grab mode active, and move the mouse. (the "mouse cursor" is a garbage though since you haven't specified a correct mouse cursor sprite shape, but it's just for to demonstrate that it may be useful in default c65 mode even without any graphics).

Oh yes, the default OSD colour and alpha transparency is just "some" value I put there without any study too much, what value would be useful, indeed.

• So getting the emulator to work.

I first downloaded the Hernan's installer to get the VIC-IV stuff, but it boots to a black screen and nothing else. So I went back and got the normal stable one and installed it.

This went a little better as I got some text on the screen, I did the config and then formatted the SD image ( Hernan's did actually make one it seems ) and then it tells me to remove it, copy a rom onto it and put it back in.

After searching here to find the img's location ( turns out its AppData/Roaming ) and then hunting to find the actual mega65.rom (for those that come after the actual link is https://github.com/MEGA65/open…6c28125bc98aff4b2edff/bin ) I now have no way of getting said rom into said img. As Windows says the image is corrupt so it won't mount it. There is talk of "Use the UI" only X-EMU doesn't have any.

For a very first try of Xemu ( LGB-Z master branch) you can also use the Xemu live system without any need of "building, thinking about an IMG file, etc.).

You can read about it in this thread: Xemu live system (iso file)

You only need the iso file on a bootable stick and additionally the ROM named MEGA65.ROM on a usb stick or SD card connected to the pc. Plug your sticks and play! ;)

• Well, I am open for suggestion, as I see things very much from developer view point, which may not be the same as the user experience, well, "may not" ... better say "certainly it is not". Though it would be great to hear other people's opinion as well. Not because I don't trust you seeing this as a problem, just because it was never mentioned by anybody other, and I would prefer to see more opinions.

"It make no sense as its a text window." - what do you mean? it's possible to have mouse in any mode. type in C65 mode "MOUSE ON" and be sure to have the mouse grab mode active, and move the mouse. (the "mouse cursor" is a garbage though since you haven't specified a correct mouse cursor sprite shape, but it's just for to demonstrate that it may be useful in default c65 mode even without any graphics).

Oh yes, the default OSD colour and alpha transparency is just "some" value I put there without any study too much, what value would be useful, indeed.

You thinking about it from. I know how this works and I want to use all the features because I've already got everything set up. Not a "I've installed the installer and it doesn't work", ideally the installer would install all needed files. So yes once you find the mega65 rom and I guess I need the C65 rom to get into C65 mode, at the moment it boots in 1mhz mode with MEGA BASIC which doesn't even have print working let alone FAST or GO65. Then you might then run a BASIC command that gets you a mouse cursor. But that is a long way away from, I've just clicked the start menu item and now I have a black screen with text mode saying "I can't find this file on the sd image" of which there is no mouse cursor. Nor when you do the initial config you use the F-key to navigate, still no mouse cursor. Mouse cursor is not something you are going to use in the first setup of the emulator.

Just set Alpha to 255, then you set the background and the foreground and it will be readable.

• Sorry I can't see the point, you always talk about "you don't need XY when installing". Emulators don't work this way, it's always emulating the machine regardless you are the installing phase or not. So I can't really follow what you suggest, unfortunately. "First setup" does not exist in the context either. It's just an UI option on a working emulator which works always the same way. You can even use that to re-fresh your setup, in case of a newer Xemu version (on-SD-card system files changes) or you want another ROM maybe for whatever reason. So clearly, there is no "first setup" it's just a user illusion. However I tried to make it as comfortable as possible, in the past, you needed to create an SD-card image and make partitions/FS on it, then copy files to the image, etc. This is all almost automated now, and it took quite amount of work to implement this. You can call this as "setup" if you want, but actually it's more like just update, which can be repeated even, in some situations I already mentioned.

The ROM issue is another point, it's simply out of scope of the emulator, as it's a legal problem, not a technical one. But it's more or less true for every emulators need some "firmware", "ROM" or anything which can be easily included by default because of various legal reasons. The file named "MEGA65.ROM" _IS_ the C65 ROM so I don't really understand the problem here either. Maybe you mean about OpenROM?

For me, it's still readable :) And alpha channel is faded away, so it won't be 255 ever, anyway, just initially. Which may help a bit, though. But certainly a more contrasted bg/fg combo with initial alpha value of 255 may be better, in any case.

• So we are actually talking about the same thing here is a video of it

[Externes Medium: https://youtu.be/6h1yst5yzOA]

To which my point is, that text when you are not expecting it, flashes up very briefly then fades white into white and is for all intents impossible to read. Given the window is 1:1 size on a 1080p screen its not that large. Hence I didn't know shift + shift would get my cursor back. If it doesn't fade out and alpha stays 255 and then you remove it, it would be readable in this situation and any other situation.

If I just got a Mega65 unpacked it and put it on my desk I would not plug in a 1531 mouse, it would not be something I would think of plugging in, until I explicitly had some piece of software or I wanted to play with the mouse cursor. So the emulator doesn't have a mouse plugged in, if I want a mouse plugged in I tell the emulator by the way put a mouse in port 1. It is something I enable in the same way I enable it on real hardware. VICE doesn't automatically grab the mouse or even supply a mouse to the what ever machine it emulates, I have to enable the mouse and in turn enable the mouse capture. As nothing in the boot sequence of the device, setup of the SD card image, setup of the machines default state needs or even can use a mouse, it seems it would be easier to have "capture mouse cursor" disabled by default in the emulator. And then the user if they wish to plug in a mouse enables it later and then the emulator will remember they have "plugged in a mouse" next time you start it up.

• oziphantom Why didn't you follow, Snoopy s suggestion ?

He has build the live system, especially for people like you, that would like to give XEMU a quick run.

This probably would have saved you alot of hassle.

2. the video, that you've posted, is the Hypervisor screen. This is not a part of XEMU but of the bootup sequence of the real machine already.

(The real machine does support the 1351 mouse, for obvious reasons).

3. regarding your "Mouse capture request): We had problems to analyse, what you actually want or what you are asking for:

Could it be, that you are asking for:

an emulator popup window, (what some emulators do) with a warning, that Xemu will capture the mouse if you click OK and an info (to press SHIFT & SHIFT to release mouse capture again) and a CANCEL button, if he decides, he doesn't want to have the mouse captured ?

• oziphantom Why didn't you follow, Snoopy s suggestion ?

He has build the live system, especially for people like you, that would like to give XEMU a quick run.

This probably would have saved you alot of hassle.

I don't want to give it a quick run, I want it fully integrated and running in my development system.

2. the video, that you've posted, is the Hypervisor screen. This is not a part of XEMU but of the bootup sequence of the real machine already.

(The real machine does support the 1351 mouse, for obvious reasons).

No it is showing the mouse capture dialog text over the Hypervisor screen.

3. regarding your "Mouse capture request): We had problems to analyse, what you actually want or what you are asking for:

Could it be, that you are asking for:

an emulator popup window, (what some emulators do) with a warning, that Xemu will capture the mouse if you click OK and an info (to press SHIFT & SHIFT to release mouse capture again) and a CANCEL button, if he decides, he doesn't want to have the mouse captured ?

First time boot show it, sure that is an option as it will inform the user "this emulator does this", and would save people having to read a forum to find out what the msg that popped up you can't read says. However I feel that mouse capture is annoying when you don't want it, and having it as a toggle item would be better in the longer term, and to avoid the issue of the initial capture when you first run the emulator it is disabled.

• Ah ! Thanks for clarifying this. We are discussing this and looking for a viable solution.

As you know, we have to find a compromise, that supports most of the people, but you have a valid point. Thank you !

(the typical thing. Ask 3 community people and you'll get 5 opinions...) ;-)

But we're on it.

• Hello,

i am now trying out the xemu emulator.

Everything is working fine so far.

I have a little question.Xmega65.exe -help shows a lot of commands.

I am searching for the commandline option to start xmega65.exe in antisotropic mode.

I couldn´t find it.

It is possible to start the mega65 emulator in antisotropic mode at startup?

thank you very much.

• I have tried to Redeem Code at files.mega65.org, however, it does not seem to recognize the necessary code on my order form in order for me to get in so I can get the ROM. As I understand it, the code you use is supposed to be the Confirmation number. Can someone help me figure this out please?

• I have tried to Redeem Code at files.mega65.org, however, it does not seem to recognize the necessary code on my order form in order for me to get in so I can get the ROM. As I understand it, the code you use is supposed to be the Confirmation number. Can someone help me figure this out please?

Is this already possible ? I thought you have to find the 911001 ROM and patch it with the BDF File from the file host ?(

Is this already possible ? I thought you have to find the 911001 ROM and patch it with the BDF File from the file host ?(

DevKit owners have a printed key to register on the filehoster for "privileged" downloads, among other stuff the complete new ROMs.

Preorderers of the MEGA65 have to wait for the printed key delivered with the MEGA65.

If I understood it right, that have nothing to do with the order number, it's a special key for the filehoster.

• DevKit owners have a printed key to register on the filehoster for "privileged" downloads, among other stuff the complete new ROMs.

Oh ok, I knew that but this is the emulator thread so I didn't thought it's about the DevKit ;)

• I see, so I have to wait for my Mega to get the key... therefore the emulator is worthless right now for me (as the open ROM really does nothing) ?