Hello, Guest the thread was called520 times and contains 24 replays

last post from mega65 at the

Xemu Windows to MEGA65 keyboard mapping

• Yep sure, happy to share any findings, perhaps a trophy moment video of my first flashing c65 basic text :-D

Just as an aside, to explain where my fascination with these minor things like the monitor and flashy text came from:

Growing up, I only ever had a c64. No upgrades to c128 or amiga. No regrets there, I was very happy with my c64, but was occasionally jealous when hearing about newer machines having better versions of BASIC with more advanced graphics and sound commands, in-built monitors and even in-built sprite editors, sheesh!

So I suppose exploring all these little perks and extras now on the mega65, even as an adult, seems to generate some sort of excitement in me, a joy of finally getting a taste of what I missed out on back then :-)

• Sounds familiar, I had my C64 until the point, then a PC was needed to "follow the world" already, and many things missed by me (like C128, Amiga, whatever). Yes, I was also happy with my C64, but I also feel sorry nowadays that I missed other nice "bigger" machines somehow, so ambivalent kind of feeling ...

• Ok, I gave "dev" branch a try just now, all good.

I gave the BASIC escape sequences from the c65 txt manual a try, was interesting, some modest but nice improvements over the c64 editor. Nice to have shortucts for getting to the start/end of a line quickly, inserting a new line above.

I'd misread the 'flashing mode', thinking it would flash the text. Instead, it would turn the flashing of the cursor on or off.

Sadly couldn't get the bold text option working. They hinted in the text that it only worked for colours 16-31, not sure how to select such colours from the keyboard though.

Being able to switch the editor into 'insert' mode felt surreal, interesting experience, after so many years of tolerating BASIC v2's OVERWRITE mode :)

KEY FUNCTION

--- ----------------------------------------------------

@ Clear from cursor to end of screen

A Enable auto-insert mode

B Set bottom of screen window at cursor position

C Disable auto-insert mode (set overwrite mode)

D Delete current line

E Set cursor to non-flashing mode

F Set cursor to flashing mode

G Enable bell (control-G)

H Disable bell

I Insert line

J Move to start of current line

K Move to end of current line

L Enable scrolling

M Disable scrolling

N Normal screen fields [not implemented on C64DX]

O Cancel insert, quote, reverse, underline & flash modes

P Erase from cursor to start of current line

Q Erase from cursor to end of current line

R Set screen to reverse video [not implemented on C64DX]

S Set bold attribute (VIC-III colors 16-31)

T Set top of screen window at cursor position

U Unset bold attibute

V Scroll up

W Scroll down

X Swap 40/80 column display output device

Y Set default tab stops (8 spaces)

Z Clear all tab stops

[ Set monochrome display (disable attributes)

/ Cancel insert, quote, rvs, ul & flash modes

] Set color display (enable attributes)

I did manage to see flashing text via other means though:

PRINT CHR$(15);"HELLO"

Underlined text worked like this:

PRINT CHR$(2);"HELLO"

• Sounds interesting! I have to admit, there can be bug in Xemu too (or at least lack of emulation ...) to have those extended attributes, at least all of them ... So it's not clear at this point if it should work, and only Xemu's VIC-III emulation does not handle it, or other problem. If I have time, I will simply set video RAM / colour RAM manually to see, if I see the desired result at least according to c65manual, since the extended attributes seems to have kinda chaotic, if I remember exactly. But anyway, it's even not sure, that a real C65 would do the same as the M65 FPGA implementation, and then we haven't even talked about Xemu's emulation of C65 or M65 to be precise ...

• Yeah, I'll be curious to give this a try soon, as I was reading in the c65 txt manual about how the BASIC editor mode supports new text attributes (flashing? Underline?) and thought it might be fun to give those a try, but the catch was I need to press the c65's escape key to start typing their escape sequences.

So will give the dev branch a try to see if I can get a kick out of seeing flashing and underlined text in BASIC :-D

You can access them in the meantime, by doing PRINT with CHR$(27) for ESC -- just compose a string with the correct sequence of characters and print it.

Paul.