Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 33k mal aufgerufen und enthält 173 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von Endurion am

Emulatoren xemu-xmega65 / xemu-xc65 bauen und benutzen

• Is it normal that the MEGA65 has bigger borders, especially the upper border ? See attached screenshots for details.

Yes, that's normal.

I complain so often about the first versions of xmega65, in which there was no border, that it seems, that LGB-Z decided to make the border double size now! :D

• The border in C65 emulator is just an artificial addition by me, with a fixed number of pixels without too much care about any timing, just to have some border you can see its colour - nothing more ;) In MEGA65 emulator it's actually an accurate (well, more accurate ...) reflection how video signal is generated, that's why it's different in PAL and NTSC since the timing on generation video signal in different, on the real machine as well (it's not related very closely - though there is some common reason for sure - but border size is also different on real C64 comparing NTSC and PAL). Xemu MEGA65 emulation in fact only shows the portion of the border, you can use the right-click menu, Display -> Show full borders, to be able to see the whole. So it's totally useless to compare the C65 and MEGA65 emulators, since works totally differently in this respect.

• Is it normal that the MEGA65 has bigger borders, especially the upper border ? See attached screenshots for details.

Yes, that's normal.

I complain so often about the first versions of xmega65, in which there was no border, that it seems, that LGB-Z decided to make the border double size now! :D

Hahahahhahahaaaaa ;-P (seriously, it was funny)

• One important thing to realize, that C65 and MEGA65 emulator within the Xemu project have more relaxed relation one might thing. True, initially I wrote the C65 emulator and for a while MEGA65 emulation was just slight add-ons here and there. But since a while they diverged so much, they currently most part nothing to do with each other at all, rewritten etc. So in most parts it simple does not make sense to compare them. Especially not the VIC-III emulation in C65 emulator and VIC-IV in MEGA65 emulator (even if just used in VIC-III mode/with VIC-III features on the MEGA65 side). Those codes have no relationship at all currently. And it makes sense since MEGA65's VIC-IV works quite differently internally.

• Maybe this is slightly offtopic here, but for some strange reason, even the hardware MEGA65 itself seems to still struggle with some problems on its borders. I mean them being so bulky and even asymmetrical. Or at least when I look at those video uploads on YouTube, it always looks like the main screen is somehow shifted to the right, and even more downwards. Which is rather annoying and ugly to my eyes (since ruining its perfection in such an ordinary way). Can it be adjusted, or will it be fixed some day? (Or is it just me seeing it this way? Ironically enough, this is one of those little stupid things pulling me back from buying the hardware at the moment. Sorry for mentioning it, I am kind of obsessional sometimes.)

• One really really important (IMHO) request: Can you make the joystick emulation keys configurable? (Pretty sure you never heard that one before)

I was stuck with a Laptop with castrated keyboard and could only access the fire button ;(

It's a really solid emulator and came a long way! I could compare my games with the real deal yesterday and it was pixel perfect!

• That should be already possible. Goto C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming\xemu-lgb\mega65 and copy keymap-defautl.cfg to keymap.cfg and then change these parameters:

XEMU-JOY-FIRE Keypad 5

XEMU-JOY-FIRE Keypad 0

XEMU-JOY-FIRE Right Ctrl

XEMU-JOY-UP Keypad 8

XEMU-JOY-DOWN Keypad 2

XEMU-JOY-LEFT Keypad 4

XEMU-JOY-RIGHT Keypad 6

I have remapped Z and Y so far. What I didn't find is a way to remap the questionmark and I always type it wrong finding it

on another position...

• Maybe this is slightly offtopic here, but for some strange reason, even the hardware MEGA65 itself seems to still struggle with some problems on its borders. I mean them being so bulky and even asymmetrical. Or at least when I look at those video uploads on YouTube, it always looks like the main screen is somehow shifted to the right, and even more downwards. Which is rather annoying and ugly to my eyes (since ruining its perfection in such an ordinary way). Can it be adjusted, or will it be fixed some day? (Or is it just me seeing it this way? Ironically enough, this is one of those little stupid things pulling me back from buying the hardware at the moment. Sorry for mentioning it, I am kind of obsessional sometimes.)

More or less the reduced border state (what is the default, for the other, see Display -> Show full borders) it's kinda arbitrary what portion of which border is shown, so in theory it can be centered. Thus is not a fundamental problem (always the full emulation frame buffer is rendered but just a portion of it is shown unless of "Show full borders"), and kinda easy to be solved, just I never find time to "play" with such of "beauty tasks" nowadays because of always having some more important problem, but limited free time for my hobbies like emulator writing.

But otherwise, I agree, that there should be some more sane default, or at least, multiple settings for reduced border options can be configured by the user (in a config file as well thus no need to set it all the time, for sure).

Now for the real MEGA65 (not emulation): I think the problem more that an emulator has kinda easy task what to do in terms of display. A hardware generates video signal, and expected people trying to connect 1000 of different branded monitors/TVs VGA/HDMI/etc, it's kinda really hard to produce something which works for all of them, especially because the relative not so common resolutions MEGA65 needs to use because of the proper NTSC and PAL like "timing" at least (the video signal itself surely not so much either of them). Honestly, I am not sure if that can be altered somehow ... Especially not in a way that it will be taken account by all programs, and just setting some registers, some program will set its own anyway. So I can't judge this part too much ....

• Hehe, you were faster to answer, nice :D

I just would like to add, that indeed, I plan some kind of in-emulator key assignment reconfiguration to avoid the need hacking a text based config file by the user ... As usual, there are tons of TODOs for me, which alone is not a problem (I won't be bored ...), time is more so :)

• I can't remember seeing such artifacts with other FPGA projects so far. Only when watching M65 videos, it hits my eyes (and I'm always guessing if it's only me to see it).

• I can't remember seeing such artifacts with other FPGA projects so far. Only when watching M65 videos, it hits my eyes (and I'm always guessing if it's only me to see it).

I just can guess, that other projects use "more regular" video modes. For example my monitor always present me a very shifted image, even more as it should so I have to correct that with the monitor's setting. But it's the monitor fault that cannot sync properly to that video mode or whatever ... Though I only tried via VGA so far (I have no monitor with HDMI input).

• Just to add on to this:

If you want to use the cursor keys, you need to put a CLEARALLMAPPING on top of all mappings, plus comment out the cursor key mapping, then add these:

XEMU-JOY-UP Up

XEMU-JOY-DOWN Down

XEMU-JOY-LEFT Left

XEMU-JOY-RIGHT Right