Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 5,4k mal aufgerufen und enthält 6 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von MIRKOSOFT am

Archimedes ROM and boot problem

• Hi!

I'm here newbie.
    I downloaded Acorn Archimedes core 150416_r1028
    I readme is written that only RISC OS 3 supports VGA... - is it exactly 3.0 or 3x ?
    I tried to start Acorn and first appears red screen:

and then error bit outside visible area:

I got problems with ROM.
    Only RISC OS 3.11 C24.ROM does boot - not earlier or later version.
    When appears menu, it is possible to select ROM and then it is not problem, tested was also 3.71.

But no matter of ROM it ends with error message on screenshot.
    Needs Acorn any floppy image to start? I have limited knowledge.

Yes, I can read info in threads, but My English is poor, so German language is for me unknown except few words used many times.
    Thank you for each help.

Miro

• There are three RISC OS versions that I have tested which work fine: 3.10, 3.11 and 3.19. 2.00 and 2.01 might work if you use a 15kHz capable monitor. All other versions will not work. Where did you get the ROM from? There are broken versions out there.

Put the Archimedes core onto a seperate SD card as core.rbf, switching to the Archimedes core running a different core will not work in most cases. You might need to do a reset (left MiST button) before the core starts up properly.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Have fun
    hubersn

• Really I forgot where exactly I found ROMs - I have only 3.11 (4 ROMs) and 3.71.
    Other - like 3.10, 3.19, 2.0 and 2.01 not - and not found over the web.

I found only RISC OS CD Collection - I was interested in until I found that shipping cots are higher that CD price...

I tried also give Archimedes to separate card and all was the same except error message - there is stop working and leave blank black screen.
    Also - I must to use 150407_r991 core instead 150416_r1028...

I know that Archimedes core is Beta version.
    Only was surprised - I found BBC OS for Acron BBC Micro - mean I correctly?

Miro

• Zitat von MIRKOSOFT

Really I forgot where exactly I found ROMs - I have only 3.11 (4 ROMs) and 3.71.
    Other - like 3.10, 3.19, 2.0 and 2.01 not - and not found over the web.

Try here: http://www.4corn.co.uk/archimedes.php

These are "known working". Note that if you have multiple files, you have to join them to one file. And it must be named riscos.rom

Try the 3.19 ROM, I know that it works.

Zitat von MIRKOSOFT

I found only RISC OS CD Collection - I was interested in until I found that shipping cots are higher that CD price...

Since quite a while, it is "download only", so no shipping costs at all. http://www.riscos.com/shop/products/101/index.htm

Zitat von MIRKOSOFT

I tried also give Archimedes to separate card and all was the same except error message - there is stop working and leave blank black screen.
    Also - I must to use 150407_r991 core instead 150416_r1028...

r1028 definitely works. Have you downloaded from GitHub the wrong way? How big (in bytes) is the core file?

Have fun
    hubersn

• Zitat von MIRKOSOFT

How to join files into one? This is for me unknown in Archimedes.

Have a look at the section about ROMs in the ArcEm manual, it explains how to join files for various operating systems:
    http://arcem.sourceforge.net/m…arcem-1.50.html#romimages

Zitat von MIRKOSOFT

Is ROM 3.19 available also in English?

No, 3.19 is the German version of 3.11. IIRC the english texts are not in the 3.19 ROM image - you could in theory create the "Territory UK" resources from 3.11 and use it with 3.19, but this would just consume a lot of memory compared to just using 3.11.

Have fun
    hubersn