Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 4k mal aufgerufen und enthält 34 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von RocketRanger125 am

Black Screen with a Sign of Life on 64c Shorty

• IUS:
    So that unit could copy/verify/burn images for the common C64 ROMS?

Yeah, I have access to working DOS machines yet. Thinking I have a DOS laptop that could be purposed for this NEED alone.

I am located in Minneapolis, MN, United States. I will be working from BINs.

All the fun....

• From the scarce information I could gather on the net,
    it should be feesible, however HOW it's done.. :drunk: No clue!
    Seems to be a copy / mass production machine just from the
    time in question. But I doubt anyone here has ever seen such
    a thing and would be able to provide any practical help.
    We have a few PROMming experts here, but from what I read
    they're not too happy to talk in English. Let's see what comes
    in in the next 4 hours. It's Friday 8:15 PM now here, so you
    can expect this to be the right time & day for your concern..

• I U S:
    I am going to read-up, and attempt to see if I can copy/verify a CBM character ROM via he device don’t panel alone. Will bring the interface and DOS app into play once I am certain I can work with it at that basic level.

I notice it is lacking a 28Pin option which seems is needed to duplicate that C64C KERNAL/BASIC ROM. It is possible for me to wire up a slide in model since this unit has a ADHOC Cart-Edge to implement such changes.

• Avenger is an Ultimax cartridge from what I know. Ultimax mode is a special mode on C64, in fact the same one that dead test uses. In this mode, no working ROMs are required on the board.

This module would be a perfect host for a dead test EPROM. All you need is an adapter from 24 pin ROMs (2364) to 28 pin EPROMs (2764). Have a look at the pinouts here:

forum64.de/gallery/index.php?image/3177/

A second possibility would be to burn dead test twice in a row into a 27128 and seat it instead of the BASIC/KERNAL ROM, thus no cartridge is needed.

As for the error pic: There's no "that's it" thought coming to my mind watching it ... seems VIC is somehow initialized but then the program stops. My best guess would still be a RAM fault, followed by a broken PLA or ROM.

You could desolder the ROMs if not socketed - you might want to socket them anyway - and use Avenger cart without ROMs seated since they are not needed as stated above. This would give you a hint whether the ROMs are faulty.

"Wenn du überredet, ermahnt, unter Druck gesetzt, belogen, durch Anreize gelockt, gezwungen, gemobbt, bloßgestellt, beschuldigt, bedroht, bestraft und kriminalisiert werden musst. Wenn all dies als notwendig erachtet wird, um deine Zustimmung zu erlangen, dann kannst du absolut sicher sein, dass das, was angepriesen wird, nicht zu deinem Besten ist." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Steve Jobs hat User hervorgebracht, Jack Tramiel Experten." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Mein Herr, ich teile Ihre Meinung nicht, aber ich würde mein Leben dafür einsetzen, dass Sie sie äußern dürfen." - Voltaire.

"Diskutiere nie mit einem Idioten - er zieht dich auf sein Niveau hinunter und schlägt dich dort mit seiner Erfahrung!" - Volksweisheit.

• Kinzi:
    Here are pictures of he inside of ‘AVENGERS’ and ‘STAR POST’. There appear to be solderable shorts for selecting the mode the cart ROM runs in system memory as you suggested:

I think I will attempt to burn a 27C64 from a DEAD-TEST BIN using my old programmer and adapt that into the 2364 cartridge ROM as you suggested. The only hiccup I see right now is m programmer lacking a 28Pin Socket. The cartridge that buys that option is well over $100. First I need to burn a smaller image to a 24-Pin device before I invest in the old programmer any further. Either way, I will get where I need to be to dead-test.

Thank You!

• Lots of programmers use the 40 pin socket to burn 28 pin devices. The IC is aligned on that side having the notch.

Maybe this is the same with yours, I don't know. The manual probably clarifies that.

"Wenn du überredet, ermahnt, unter Druck gesetzt, belogen, durch Anreize gelockt, gezwungen, gemobbt, bloßgestellt, beschuldigt, bedroht, bestraft und kriminalisiert werden musst. Wenn all dies als notwendig erachtet wird, um deine Zustimmung zu erlangen, dann kannst du absolut sicher sein, dass das, was angepriesen wird, nicht zu deinem Besten ist." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Steve Jobs hat User hervorgebracht, Jack Tramiel Experten." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Mein Herr, ich teile Ihre Meinung nicht, aber ich würde mein Leben dafür einsetzen, dass Sie sie äußern dürfen." - Voltaire.

"Diskutiere nie mit einem Idioten - er zieht dich auf sein Niveau hinunter und schlägt dich dort mit seiner Erfahrung!" - Volksweisheit.

• OK, burned my first PROM! Built a socket adapter replacing with the AVENGERS cartridge ROM with a DEAD TEST BIN.

This was fun to do.

Pictured is on a known working C64.

Using the DEAD TEST on the black screen C64C reveals the warmer RAM chip U10 as bad. Swapping U10 and U11, the DEADTEST flashed suggesting that the problem moved when the chip moved to the other socket. So, that confirms the suspect warmer chip as the best next swap. Parts on order.....

Now I am going to try making a second diag cartridge for diagnostics for up-and-running C64s. Maybe I will place that ROM on the same cartridge as the dead-test, adding a switch to choose between the 2. Anyone see any problem with that idea? Swapping the OE or CS to choose which ROM boots on cold-starts...

Thanks Again!

PS:
    Now that I have the ability to burn PROMs, I wouldn’t mind making some for others to help with diag or other.

• . Maybe I will place that ROM on the same cartridge as the dead-test, adding a switch to choose between the 2. Anyone see any problem with that idea? Swapping the OE or CS to choose which ROM boots on cold-starts...

This will work in general, but since Dead Test uses "Ultimax Mode" (/GAME=0, /EXROM=1) versus Diag using CBM80-Mode (/EXROM=0, /GAME=1) you'll have to switch these two lines, too, beside the /CS. You might also want to program a 27128 instead of two 2764 and switch the two ROM banks by address pin A13 (pin 26). This can be done easily with a "double switch" together with /GAME and /EXROM switching.

[EDIT]

Anyway - good work, congrats! :thumbsup::thumbup:

[/EDIT]

• Anyone see any problem with that idea?

Good work! In case of a DIAG Cartridge, you'll need a test harness as well (C64 Diagnostic Kit).

Please have a closer look at:

C64_Diagnostic_Instruction_and_Troubleshooting_Manual_(326070-01)

• In case of a DIAG Cartridge, you'll need a test harness as well (C64 Diagnostic Kit).

That's correct! :thumbup:

In fact, Diag 586220 will run anyway but will throw several errors because of the missing test loops. However, the RAM, ROM and PLA test for example will work correctly without the harness.