Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 45k mal aufgerufen und enthält 266 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von atomcode am

The C256 Foenix Projekt

• Your argument pretty much kills everything, because there is not much you can't do with a 5 GHz CPU. :-) People have ported Prince of Persia, Civilisation and Lemmings to a 1 Mhz CPU. And they won't stop. Limbo and Eye of the Beholder are next. Why all this effort if you can run those games on other platforms? It's a kind of challenge to port these all-time classics, which were never supposed to run on older platforms. Making the impossible possible. That's what keeps people going.

Cheers,
    Benjamin

Benjamin,

I was merely pointing the fact that a CPU @ 5G can emulate anything from the 80s/90s/00s without much problem.

The deal is that I am coming out from the point of view that a "new" retro platform is an opportunity to create new games as opposed to port old ones. There are beautiful 8-bit style games made on Unity for example, but it is not the same thing has been develop on a real 8 bit platform. On the other hand, I don't mind the idea of porting because at the end of the day, probably a C256 version of a C64 games will end up being its own thing. Prince of Persa on the Foenix will probably be a different experience than the original or the whole gang of versions that were created on the different platforms of the time. I just find that some peeps keep coming back with the same titles and I wonder why specifically people would like to see an early 3D type game being ported on a 8 bit computer. that's all...

Cheers
    Stefany

• The x86 platform is a total mess. You don't ever want to create something similar. But if you create something new, don't you want to eliminate the drawbacks of its predecessors? I don't see missing connections as a problem, because there are adapters for everything. I can attach an SVideo-to-HDMI-converter to my C64, add 2 additional joystick ports, an SD2IEC and I even have an adapter for a PS/2 keyboard. You can attach all those things to an Amiga, too.

I get your point, but I think we just have a different view. :-) When we are talking about things missing, you think of hardware, while I think of software.

• Benjamin,
    I was merely pointing the fact that a CPU @ 5G can emulate anything from the 80s/90s/00s without much problem.

The deal is that I am coming out from the point of view that a "new" retro platform is an opportunity to create new games as opposed to port old ones. There are beautiful 8-bit style games made on Unity for example, but it is not the same thing has been develop on a real 8 bit platform. On the other hand, I don't mind the idea of porting because at the end of the day, probably a C256 version of a C64 games will end up being its own thing. Prince of Persa on the Foenix will probably be a different experience than the original or the whole gang of versions that were created on the different platforms of the time. I just find that some peeps keep coming back with the same titles and I wonder why specifically people would like to see an early 3D type game being ported on a 8 bit computer. that's all...

Cheers
    Stefany

Hi Stefany,

the words "retro gamer" and "new" contradict each other. :-) Every future user of the C256 has his/her favorite games. Changes rarely happen. I don't think that a new game will ever make it into my personal top 10.

Of course, it would be great to see new games for C256, but if I have to make a guess, I would say that it will be used to play ported games over 90% of the time. There's nothing wrong with that. I just like to see the C256 succeed - the reason is secondary.

Kind regards,
    Benjamin

• Hi Stefany,
    the words "retro gamer" and "new" contradict each other. :-) Every future user of the C256 has his/her favorite games. Changes rarely happen. I don't think that a new game will ever make it into my personal top 10.

Of course, it would be great to see new games for C256, but if I have to make a guess, I would say that it will be used to play ported games over 90% of the time. There's nothing wrong with that. I just like to see the C256 succeed - the reason is secondary.

Kind regards,
    Benjamin

Benjamin,

In all humility, I would be very happy and proud to see any games being newly programmed for it or ported to it. If only one could make it, I would feel very satisfied. That would justify all the endless hours I put on the creation of the system.

However, deep down, I hope to see more new games coming out of it then ported games...

And trust me Benjamin, me too I would like to see it succeed in any possible way and my threshold line for success is very low!

Soon, we will see how things go! Maybe we should have a wager sometimes just to spice things up!

Cheers!

Regards,
    Stefany

• I think the C256 Phoenix can become the AppleII GS of the Commodore 8-bit line.

Freddy, that would be very sweet, but if it would ever happen, it is really because of a community effort more than a single person effort.

And the funny part is that I would not be surprised if something like that would come out of Europe.

Also, the Foenix would be an insane machine to do demos on as well.

So much potential!

Stefany

• Yep. Btw.: I was just reading in Phoenix' Forum ;-)

I'm always surprised to see how much knowledge is spread all over the world.

• Hi there, just wanted to point out that the computer is still called "Phoenix" (with "Ph") in the website's <title>, but I guess "Foenix" with an "F" is now the official name?

Btw I think the case with the beige top looks really cool, and more Commodore-like, the all-black version looks more like something from the Sinclair/Spectrum universe...

• Thanks Zeha for pointing out the problem, it has been fixed, although I think it will take a while before the changes takes effects...

By default I like the black color in general, so I tend to like the Black version better but the Beige and light grey are very much "Commodore'esque" or Commodore'ish if you will.

These are version of the enclosure with some metal included, if anybody would want a model with painted plied aluminum, then that could be a way to do it. This way it would look more like a Commodore 128D. That's what I was aiming for, although the enclosure is significantly smaller than the C128.

However, there is this new design where it is very plastic'y' but it is 3D printer friendly.

Cheers,

Stefany

untitled.27_45%.png

• The 264 series were 'blackish', erm, anthracite.
    Ma Amiga CDTV is also black.
    So partialy is black also 'Commodorish' :thumbup:

Yes of course, in the end, if peeps want to print their own enclosure, I am sure they will pick the color of their choice...

I am actually printing the latest design made for 3D printer, so in a couple of days, I will post a new picture which ought to be the real thing...

Cheers

Stefany

• Yes of course, in the end, if peeps want to print their own enclosure, I am sure they will pick the color of their choice...
    I am actually printing the latest design made for 3D printer, so in a couple of days, I will post a new picture which ought to be the real thing...

Cheers

Stefany

Bon soir Stefanie ;)

Btw.: does the Phoenix have an internal keyboard connector for original CBM keyboards?

• Hi there, just wanted to point out that the computer is still called "Phoenix" (with "Ph") in the website's <title>, but I guess "Foenix" with an "F" is now the official name?

In fact I like Phoenix with 'Ph', because 'ph' it is the Retro Version of the 'F' :thumbup:

• In fact I like Phoenix with 'Ph', because 'ph' it is the Retro Version of the 'F'

You are right, Phreddy. :D

• After a quick view on Board Rev. B I see no internal keyboard connector.

Freddy,

Unfortunately, the official C64 Keyboard connector that was in the Rev A of the C256 Foenix was not saved in the Migration to version B(1)(2). However, I will not promise anything, but I could bring it back in the final version of the board, maybe in revision C. Will See...

Cheers

Stefany

• An 'enhanced' version like the C128 keyboard would be nice. (The additional keypad, you know?) ;-)