Hello, Guest the thread was called40k times and contains 436 replays

last post from wybren1971 at the

The Final Chesscard (Hardware)

• Yay! I'm up - it's working! Thanks all.

Debugging story:

- No need for scope or anything. Just started probing cart lines while the C64 was on and the cart attached. About the only thing that looked reasonable were the clks and the nmi\.

- EXROM\ and GAME\ were both negated. I didn't check, but I assume the CROM was selected at this time, causing the black screen.

- Probed around the board while powered up but disconnected from the C64. Reviewed CUPL file. GAME\ and EXROM\ should both be asserted.

- Decided the CPLD programming must be bad because the logic to assert these lines is very straightforward.

- Reprogrammed the CPLD, same result.

- Recompiled the cupl file -> jedec again, selected Device Dependent Compile, got a file much smaller this time.

- Programmed this into the board, installed in my C64 (reloaded).

- Black/White "demo bars" - Well at least the computer was running code from the cart.

- Decided to try a different C64. Bam! Right into the chess board.

Conclusion:

Here is a good JEDEC file, if a moderator could remove the one above, that would be good for the next person that attempts to build this.

The cart does NOT work in my C64 Reloaded board. (mark 1)

The cart DOES work in my Ultimate 64, a C128, and an early C64 with the reduced video output DIN connector.

Thanks all!

• Anbei der erste Entwurf meines Schaltplans. Bitte vergleicht ihn mit euren Versionen.

lvr , thank you so much for sharing the draft. It got useful in finding a mistake in my TFCC replica project. I imported your Eagle schematics file in KiCad and converted it to a netlist. After a saturdays evening of work, I found that I had grounded the READ signal on the 74LS32! After removing the mistake, the game started ! It was @Amon_Ra on twitter who prototyped the replica. More information about it is on my github repo. Again thanks so much. There was very little error in your draft. When comparing the netlist to a gerber, errors are detected in both schematics and gerbers if they don't match up.

• Hi,
    a little update at http://blog.worldofjani.com/?p=3460 :)

2020-02: Added The Final Chesscard as The Final Cartridge 3 .crt image for debugging purposes.

2020-02: Added english crom 1.3e, disassembled and translated into english.

Thanks to Bart (Amon_RA on Twitter) for sending me a reproduced TFCC PCB by bwack. Also thanks for help in testing and verifying the crom 1.3e!

It was quite some work to translate the 1.3 German into English, lots of references to take into consideration (do a binary compare to see :huh:).
    The Final Cartridge 3 .crt images are only for debugging, does not work in emulator.
    Perhaps it will help in developing support for TFCC in emulators.

• Yesterday i finished mij Final chess card. And it works great. With the latest roms of jani. As Sailor already mentioned i had to crank up the Mhz, because i can't get it to work at 5 MHz but at the other speeds it works well. No idea why that is, but since the PCB is now in a case, i don't change the dipswitches. I converted the CUPL design with ATMELISP to a FCC64.svf file and programmed the CPLD with openocd and a buspirate via JTAG. i can share the openocd config en de svf file if someone wants to go that route. (i use linux hence this solution)

Freak and sailor thanks a lot for you're work. I'm going to play chess on my C64:-)

• I converted the CUPL design with ATMELISP to a FCC64.svf file and programmed the CPLD with openocd and a buspirate via JTAG. i can share the openocd config en de svf file if someone wants to go that route. (i use linux hence this solution)

IMHO it would be very good if you can publish your approach to translate the CUPL-File and to flash the CPLD on a linux system...

Does anyone else see the ram disk?

I did not try the "new" brom and crom, but with the old roms I got a fully functional ramdisk (that needed to be formated??? Not sure about that...).

You may check the supply voltage of the static ram. It should be approx. 3,0 V with the module completely disconnected from the c64.

Cheers,

Thomas

• IMHO it would be very good if you can publish your approach to translate the CUPL-File and to flash the CPLD on a linux system...

No problem. I loaded the source file in the windows application WinCupl and compiled it "device dependent". This resulted in a jedec file. In the windows application AtmelISP v7.2.2 i choose "file/new" and added the device to program (ATF1504AS). I set the JTAG instruction to Program/Verify and selected the just created jedec file and clicked OK. In the main screen i checked the "write svf file" box and gave it a name (FCC64.svf) in de "SVF File Name" box. (i did not have the Atmel ATDH1150USB cable attached) and pressed "run". This created the attached svf file.FCC64.zip

On my linux system i installed the openocd package. (sudo apt-get install openocd). Openocd is installed in /usr/share/openocd.

My buspirate is supported by openocd. I flashed the buspirate with the latest community firmware V7.1 (Github source for firmware buspirate) and followed the instructions to flash it (flash instructions)

The commands for flashing the CPLD, i found on the internet here.

i set those commands in my openocd.cfg file (the default file for openocd), which needs to be located in the location /usr/share/openocd/scripts (openocd.zip) and specified the location of the FCC64.svf file.

I connected 6 wires from the buspirate (5V, GND, TDI, TCK, TDO and TMS) to the JTAG connector of the Final Chess Card.

Now all i had to do is open a terminal window and type "openocd" and the device gets flashed.

that needed to be formated??? Not sure about that...).

How did you do that? I loaded old BROM and CROM files (from Jani his side) but i never could access the RAM disk. Is it used at all? I did not notice any change in playing when setting the dip switch to 8 or 32 Kb.

The Manual suggest the static ram is for setting personal settings and saving games. But i did not see that option. Just as Jani did not see it:

IIRC the german 1.3 is also missing the ramdisk option, they probably removed it for some reason. I looked a bit at that but deciced to let it be as is.

My only question is then, Freak does the ram do anything at all? Otherwise the card can be made cheaper by losing the battery, the ram and the supervisor chip.;-)

Anyway i am very happy with my cartridge. and i enjoy playing it on my old commodore 64!

Thank you guys for making this possible, and i hope i helped a little by providing a alternative way to flash the CLPD.

• that needed to be formated??? Not sure about that...).

How did you do that? I loaded old BROM and CROM files (from Jani his side) but i never could access the RAM disk. Is it used at all? I did not notice any change in playing when setting the dip switch to 8 or 32 Kb.

The Manual suggest the static ram is for setting personal settings and saving games. But i did not see that option.

Finally I got some spare time to check this issue in detail:

* inserted a fresh 3V coin cell battery

* setting the dip switches of the FCC to: 8k, 5M, 1x

* brom: 1.0, crom: 0.9 (german version)

* I used an Ultimate 64 for testing, but this should not matter at all...

With this configuration the ram disk is fully working! (No need for formatting the disk. :whistling:)

Maybe the following will clearify the usage a little bit:

Saving games

* Select "Datei / Sichere Spiel" ("File / Save Game" ??? )

* Select "ram disk"

* Optional: Press "Lese Dir" ("Read Dir" ??? ) to show the contents of the ram disk

* Enter your desired file name in the small (one line-) box on the lower left side of the window

* Press "Sichere" ("Save" ??? )

Now all moves up to the current state are being saved to the disk.

Reading games:

* Select "Datei / Lade Spiel" ("File / Load Game" ??? )

* Select "ram disk"

* Press "Lese Dir" ("Read Dir" ??? ) to show the contents of the ram disk

* Enter your desired file name in the small (one line-) box on the lower left side of the window or simply select your desired file name in the upper left box

* The desired file name should now be stated in the box on the lower left side of the window

* Press "Lade" ("Load" ??? ) or "Replay" ("Replay" ??? )

"Lade" will load the game and will set the game pointer prior to the first move. Hence the board will look as if no move has been made. Moves can be replayed with "Commodore / R" or "Commodore / A" or from the option menu.

"Replay" will load the game and will set the game pointer after the last move. Hence the board will look as if the game has already been played...

Cheers,

Thomas

• Post by Parser ().

This post was deleted by syshack: OT gelöscht ().
  • Post by GenerationCBM ().

• Post by Parser ().

• FXXS

Changed the title of the thread from “The Final Chesscard” to “The Final Chesscard (Hardware)”.
  • The Final Cartridge 3 .crt images are only for debugging, does not work in emulator. Perhaps it will help in developing support for TFCC in emulators.

Would be absolutely great, when this could be emulated in nearer future. :emojiSmiley-106:

Ich zitiere mich mal selbst, damit nun hier keine Verwirrung entsteht, durch nicht mehr aktuelle Aussagen. :) Der zitierte Satz ist nämlich nun schon etwas älter, weil die ganzen Einträge dazwischen nun verschoben wurden.

Die "C64 Final Chesscard" KANN inzwischen emuliert werden, siehe dazu den anderen, von "FXXS" verlinkten Thread, der jetzt abgespaltet wurde von diesem hier.

• So, mein "C64 Final Chesscard" in der Forum64 Edition ist gestern fertig geworden. :-)

Dan­kens­wer­ter­wei­se habe ich von @Freak einen Leiterplatten Rohling bekommen. Diesen habe ich per Hand SMD bestückt und gelötet - teilweise unter dem Mikroskop... Keine Ahnung, wieviele Stunden das in Summe waren. ;-)
    @Freak hat mir dann auch noch den CPLD programmiert, da ich dazu keinerlei Möglichkeit habe. Vielen Dank an dieser Stelle nochmals! :thumbsup:

Die FCC lief auf Anhieb sofort in meinem neuen C64 "Ku-Board". Eproms habe ich beide gebrannt, die 0.9/1.0er und die 1.3/1.5er Version. Jetzt kann ich mal damit spielen. Evtl. spendiere ich noch ein Gehäuse dazu.