Hello, Guest the thread was called160k times and contains 1579 replays

last post from Tommi_nrw at the

Professional Dos Nachbau

• Die Werte sind absolut OK.

Ich muss mir noch mal ein paar Gedanken machen wie das sonst noch entstehen kann.
    Schreib mir mal eine PM mit Deiner Telefonnummer. Vielleicht können wir am WE mal telefonieren.

Zur Lösung dieses Problems wurden viele Vorschläge gemacht, aber die drehten sich meist um das Hin und Her kleiner bedruckter Papierscheinchen,
    und das ist einfach drollig, weil es im großen und ganzen ja nicht die kleinen bedruckten Papierscheinchen waren, die sich unglücklich fühlten.
    Und so blieb das Problem bestehen. Vielen Leuten ging es schlecht, den meisten sogar miserabel, selbst denen mit Digitaluhren.

• Vielleicht Dank für das Angebot, ich weiß Deinen Support wirklich zu schätzen! Allerdings fehlt mir selbst im Moment ein wenig die Energie, mich weiter mit diesem Projekt zu beschäftigen, und ich werde es für eine Weile zur Seite legen.

• @Tommi_nrw Tri-State Octal Bus Transceivers sind gerade günstig. Den ganzen anderen Rest (SD-Kartenleser) vom vc-20 FE kann man ja weglassen. Wichtig ist ja das Banking der 512 KB.

Ich war ein paar Tage unterwegs ... und dann ist Montag auch noch mein Netzteil verreckt :cursing:

Wichtig ist der passende Floppykernal.
    Das Bankswitching sehe ich nicht als das Problem an.
    Wenn wir einen Kernal haben, dann kann man schauen wo die Bank eingeblendet
    werden muss und wie geschaltet wird.

Zur Lösung dieses Problems wurden viele Vorschläge gemacht, aber die drehten sich meist um das Hin und Her kleiner bedruckter Papierscheinchen,
    und das ist einfach drollig, weil es im großen und ganzen ja nicht die kleinen bedruckten Papierscheinchen waren, die sich unglücklich fühlten.
    Und so blieb das Problem bestehen. Vielen Leuten ging es schlecht, den meisten sogar miserabel, selbst denen mit Digitaluhren.

• Hi, nice community: topic was open in 2016 and lasts until 2018, so, I decided to continue here and not to open a new one; in case I've violated the forum rules I'm ready to open a new topic.
    Furthermore, since I'm italian and I don't know german I hope I can write in english on this forum.
    Anyway, my question is: is there anyone here, or in the net, who can build and sell a complete professional dos kit?
    I have a 1541-II and a classic long 1541 which could be used for It.
    Thanx.
    Greetings.

• Anyway, my question is: is there anyone here, or in the net, who can build and sell a complete professional dos kit?
    I have a 1541-II and a classic long 1541 which could be used for It.
    Thanx.

I can offer you the main components if you write me a PM. I do not sell finished devices or complete kits.
    In the 1541 II you have to solder anyway to intall Professional Dos and PD must be very flat to fit inside.
    Old 1541 is much easier (if 6502 ans 6522 are already socketed)

• Hi all - such an exciting project!

So I have been putting this set together - building this into a 1541 - testing with the userport -

Using the following (sha1) files:

GAL:

7d7e0d1ae5049db7a0e7606f2db7dcd44d695dd9 *GAL Professional Dos 2016 V124_DolphinDos.jed

W27C512:

86e73189a3dd21ad371a3b04ee2a468acbcf5e68 *Professional DOS L2 1541x mit Speeddos 35T u imprvd Low-ROM und DD20 fuer V1.2 Platine GALV1.22DD-V1.24 64KB (27512).bin

C64 Kernal:

5b589f1b72de0313fd8f7774d43d40837bc6c296 *MIKROTRONIC SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL DOS (L2_Userport)_black.bin

When I do a Floppy format it will proceed to execute and claim it ended successfully (and I see bicolor LED move from green to red briefly at the very end of the format)

But when I list the directory it will always come back with this same output of "66, ILLEGAL TRACK OR SECTOR,75,01"

The Red Floppy LED will turn off (so not blinking) - and takt/speed bicolor LED lights green.

What am I doing wrong, what might I try to fix this?

Jumper settings and solder points as per pictures.

Thanks in advance for helping me guys !

• Hi

What about reading disks? Is ist possible and and working at expected speed?

And writing to disk is this working?

And when you switch to Dolphin Dos or Speeddos - is it working then?

And please remove the marked Jumper. It has to be removed for modification with Dolphin Dos.

• Tom, thanks for responding. Took the Jumper off - that made no difference.

Summary of the new pictures below:

1) Can *yes* format a disk when I load the 1541-SpeedDOS 2.7 Kernal A-OK

2) Can *not* save to a properly formatted disk with the 1541-Professional DOS kernal

4) Can *yes* save to a properly formatted disk with the 1541-SpeedDOS 2.7 Kernal

5A) Can *not* load that under (4) saved program with 1541-SpeedDOS 2.7 Kernal

5B/C) Can *sometimes* load that under (4) saved program with 1541-Professional DOS kernal (in 5B it just hangs, in 5C it loaded OK)

6) Can *yes* load that same under (4) saved program with 1541-CBM DOS 2.6

Is this something with the resistor changes you mentioned in one of the posts? One of the logic ICs not playing nice? Other?

• Did you try dolphin dos? (JP1-5)

Not quite sure, but I think it could be the clock generating.

-- I think you test it in a standard 1541 with medium lengh board, don't you?

Please try the following: turn jumpers JP2 and JP3 from horizontal to perpendicular.

This will NOT work with Professional Dos but with CBM, Speeddos and Dolphin Dos.

This will pass PD clock generating and use the original from the Board.

If this works fine, (not with Professional Dos!) it is a problem with the clock.

Check R1 - R4 and C1, C2 !

I bought some "ti" 74LS123N from China before. Working fine as FlipFlops,

but not responding to external wiring on pins 6,7,14,15 ... but if I remember right, this led to crash ...

can you record the clocksignal?

• Tom thanks,

1541 is the 251830 REV A PCB

(a) Checked R1-R4 and C1, C2 - all correct as per schematic you pictured

(b) Changed jumpers JP2 and JP3 from horizontal to perpendicular.

(c) Tried loading with CBM - works, but so did it before as I noted)

(d) Tried loading with Speeddos - no change, still does not work

(e) Changed out the 74LS123N with a different one - different (US) batch, same results for b,c,d

One thing to note: I can NOT select the DD drive kernal - no matter how I switch the dips on the userport connector - is there something I missed here?

I can probably record a clock signal - where do you want me to tap it?

• One thing to note: I can NOT select the DD drive kernal - no matter how I switch the dips on the userport connector - is there something I missed here?

As there are only two lines for selecting, DD is not switchable from ParPort in your configuration.

DD is a modification I did after releasing the PCBs so switching function is not optimal for everything.

You have to set JP1-5 on the PD PCB to activate it and open JP1-1 to JP1-4

As you only use one dev# selector line, you could use the other line to switch DD.

Open the Jumper on VIA PCB and solder another Cable. :-)

(e) Changed out the 74LS123N with a different one - different (US) batch, same results for b,c,d

yes, as turning JP2 and JP3 did not help, this was predictably

Leave JP2 and JP3 turned as long as Speeddos does not work.

I can probably record a clock signal - where do you want me to tap it?

not nessesary yet, bug is somewhere else.

Can you please make a memory dump in Speeddos mode?

Take DMD. I just sent it to you via mail.

1. Select Speeddos as Kernal in Floppy

2. load DMD (best from a different drive ( sd2iec? ))

3. turn off Floppy and wait appox. 5 min

4. turn on floppy

5. select Floppy

6. select drive to save to (sd2iec?)

7. select 0 !!! drive unknown

8. type a short name.

It will write 4 files.

Sometimes it crashes.Just try again.

Send the file via mail.

• Tommi_nrw,

Thanks - I just sent you the 4 files.

Also I made a quick screenprint of the GAL burning ( I have the GAL22V10D ) - trying to cover all bases

For clarity - below pictures - and as before, testing with the userport - Using the following (sha1) files:

GAL:

7d7e0d1ae5049db7a0e7606f2db7dcd44d695dd9 *GAL Professional Dos 2016 V124_DolphinDos.jed

W27C512:

86e73189a3dd21ad371a3b04ee2a468acbcf5e68 *Professional DOS L2 1541x mit Speeddos 35T u imprvd Low-ROM und DD20 fuer V1.2 Platine GALV1.22DD-V1.24 64KB (27512).bin

C64 Kernal:

5b589f1b72de0313fd8f7774d43d40837bc6c296 *MIKROTRONIC SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL DOS (L2_Userport)_black.bin

• Hi.

Memory map looks good, so I'm a little bit clueless ....

Please try :

Setting JP1-2 (don't replace RAM) together with speeddos

(in DOS-Mode it is doing this automaticly)

If this works: A Problem with the 8k RAM (electric contact or chip)

Also (afterwards) you can try to set JP1-3 (using original C000 ROM on Floppyboard)

Did you try Dolphin DOS with JP1-5? If JP1-5 does not bring up Dolphin Dos:

Is it possible you burned the wrong ROM or GAL file?

What you can try also:

use

GAL Professional Dos 2016 V124_DolphinDos_mit Jiffy-LOROM.jed

together with

RAPI Professional DOS L2 1541x mit JiffyDos u imprvd Jiffy-Low-ROM und DD20 fuer V1.2 Platine GALV1.22DD-V1.24 64KB (27512).bin

I'm leaving for vacation early tomorrow morning.

So I will probably answer earliest the week after next.

Hope you find the bug soon ...

Regads

Tom

• Tom, thanks for continued support - and welcome back from your vacation.

I have tried out what you suggested, I also have built an additional board, just to rule out any mistakes made during soldering.

Comments below:

Setting JP1-2 (don't replace RAM) together with speeddos

(in DOS-Mode it is doing this automaticly)

If this works: A Problem with the 8k RAM (electric contact or chip)

Obi: Tried this, no difference

Also (afterwards) you can try to set JP1-3 (using original C000 ROM on Floppyboard)

Obi: Tried this, no difference

Did you try Dolphin DOS with JP1-5? If JP1-5 does not bring up Dolphin Dos:

Is it possible you burned the wrong ROM or GAL file?

What you can try also:

use

GAL Professional Dos 2016 V124_DolphinDos_mit Jiffy-LOROM.jed

together with

RAPI Professional DOS L2 1541x mit JiffyDos u imprvd Jiffy-Low-ROM und DD20 fuer V1.2 Platine GALV1.22DD-V1.24 64KB (27512).bin

Obi: Tried this, no difference - I can confirm that DolphinDOS works (speeder works) but Professional DOS is still a no-go.

• I have tried out what you suggested, I also have built an additional board, just to rule out any mistakes made during soldering.

Does the additional Board do the same?

Obi: Tried this, no difference - I can confirm that DolphinDOS works (speeder works) but Professional DOS is still a no-go.

OK ... if DD works - that means:

1. ROM is OK

2. RAM is OK

3. Clock circuit is OK in 1 MHZ (I assume you changed JP2/JP3 again to "normal")

So next step must be to get Jiffy (or Speeddos with the other ROM ) to run, as is is only a slightly different addressing of the ROM.

Did you also try the PCB in another Floppy?

What about the Drivespeed? Is it at 300rpm?