Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 9,8k mal aufgerufen und enthält 65 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von MIRKOSOFT am

Troubleshooting / all topics in one... [Sammelthread]

• Is there any message like:
    CBM DOS 2.6, 1541 or so?

Why don't you simply read the error channel and try to find out?
    Short answer: Yes.

• btw, it is a good idea to simply only check for those drives which need specific treatment in your code - and use standard (kernal) procedures for everything else. also its not a good idea to rely too much on the error channel output.... you should only ever take it as a vague indication. (for example the weird speeddos clone i am using just gives a chunk of random gibberish on the error channel after init =P)

• Hi!

I used new software "C-NLQ-FLASHER488.PRG" to flash AVR. It was successfull.
    When I tried to CALIBRATION, after loading I confirmed PAL system.
    That was last Q from program.
    Then it starts searching for NLQ-HDs...
    And found only #8.
    My drive has devicenumber #10...
    It continues searching for drives, but after 15min, I turn off computer.
    Jumper config at calibration was: JC1-2 set/RESET:OUT/BUS POWER:OUT
    Now I can't re-flash AVR, also when I let RESET jumper open, computer don't access any drive - freezes...

Can anybody help me?

Many thanks for every reply.

Miro

• Zitat

I used new software "C-NLQ-FLASHER488.PRG" to flash AVR. It was successfull. When I tried to CALIBRATION, after loading I confirmed PAL system. That was last Q from program. Then it starts searching for NLQ-HDs... And found only #8. My drive has devicenumber #10... It continues searching for drives, but after 15min, I turn off computer. Jumper config at calibration was: JC1-2 set/RESET:OUT/BUS POWER:OUT Now I can't re-flash AVR, also when I let RESET jumper open, computer don't access any drive - freezes...

The only difference of flasher487 to 488 is that 488 displays the wrong bytes read from the AVR. So I don't understand why 488 works while 487 doesn't. There must be any coincidence which allows flashing sometimes and somes it doesn't - but I cannot imagine what this could be. CAL&CON tests all devices from 8 to 30 by sending a command which only NLQHD answers. When the program hangs while displaying 8 then this isn't normal. If device 8 is present then it will answer, if it isn't, then there is no hanging there at least. This must be again any coincidence. What does 'My drive has devicenumber #10' mean? Is this the devicenumber of the internal 1571? I asked you to tell us the AVR-answer-bytes when flashing doesn't work - so far you didn't do this. Does your C128 has JiffyDOS? If yes then switch it off for calibrating. Do you use a correct serial cable (no audio-cable)? Can you make a foto of your C128 and IEC-ATA? The flasher sets the fuses correctly, so I don't understand why flashing doesn't work again (any coincidence?). Perhaps you could buy any cheap C64 (EBAY, HOOD...). I don't understand what 'computer don't access any drive - freezes' means. Your information is a little bit confusing. There is no advantage to start ten threads at the same time.

• Yeah, do we really need a new thread for each new problem you encounter?

@mod: Können wir die verschiedenen Threads zum Thema IECATA von ihm zusammenlegen? Man verliert echt den Überblick inzwischen.

• Hi!

"my devicenumber is #10" - it means that my internal C1571 has HW changed devicenumber to #10 to access.
    no, I don't have JiffyDOS - I read at dialog of calibration what has to be off/disconnected
    "disk access freezes" - it means that when I have connected IEC-ATA V2 and write LOAD"$",10 then it prints:
    SEARCHING FOR $
    and after nothing - no drive access, no computer output.
    When I set RESET jumper or disconnect IEC-ATA access is correctly.

What I had only connected to computer through flashing and calibration:
    internal C1571, serial cable connected IEC-ATA, 2 monitors (one for VIC/one for VDC) , joystick, mouse and keyboard.
    I disconnected:
    datasette, 64HDD PWR/Link - so no cartridge, no datasette, no other drive.

What do you think when you're writting "when #8 is found it's ok"
    How can be found #8 if I have only drive #10? And also - important - how long time to wait until searching procedure is done?

Thanks.

Miro

• Thank you for this detailed information.
    (1) means that the IEC-ATA-hardware locks the bus. Do you have an not-defective-IDE-HD connected to IEC-ATA? When there is no HD connected then the firmware hangs in the reset-routine and locks the bus.
    (2) is good. (Put the monitor-cables as far away as possible from the serial cable and from the IEC-ATA-hardware)
    (3) means that it doesn't matter whether a floppy with devicenumber 8 is present or not; there is no hanging anyway.
    Displaying a '8' doesn't mean that CAL&CON found a floppy with DN 8. This means that actually DN 8 is tested whether it is present and whether it is a NLQ-HD-drive. Finding the NLQ-HDs is so fast that the numbers from 8 to 30 are printed so fast to the screen that you have problems to read them.

• OK.

You wrote:
    "Finding the NLQ-HDs is so fast that the numbers from 8 to 30 are printed so fast to the screen that you have problems to read them."

So, searching has to be fast? 'Cause the problem is it found #8 and no more numbers are displayed/printed, I was waiting 15min and no any numbers displayed.
    Program stands at found drive #8 and no more answer - 15min long... after I turned off the computer

So, is it normal?

Miro

• Zitat

You wrote:
    "Finding the NLQ-HDs is so fast that the numbers from 8 to 30 are printed so fast to the screen that you have problems to read them."
    So, searching has to be fast? 'Cause the problem is it found #8 and no more numbers are displayed/printed, I was waiting 15min and no any numbers displayed.
    Program stands at found drive #8 and no more answer - 15min long... after I turned off the computer
    So, is it normal?

As explained in the posting before this isn't normal. See how fast the NLQ-HD-detection is:
    - Close Jumper-Reset (so NLQ-HD cannot be found because it is switch off by a permanence-reset; but it' a demonstration only)
    - Start CAL&CON
    - Type Return at the question PAL/NTSC
    - Watch the numbers from 8 to 30 at the screen
    This speed is the same when a NLQ-HD IEC-ATA, which doesn't lock the bus, is connected.
    Please answer the question whether there is a working-HD connected or not.

• Zitat

... CAL&CON writes all numbers and shows message:
    (1) No NLQ-HD found

(2) why when is IEC-ATA connected it stops at #8 and not work more?

(1) This is ok, because the IEC-ATA is deactivated.
    (2) I explaint this the third time now: The activated NLQHD-firmware locks the IEC-bus, so the C128 hangs at once when it wants to test whether there is a floppy with DN 8. I still don't know whether there is a ATA-HD connected to the IEC-ATA-hardware. I still cannot see any foto.

• Zitat

so, I did any pictures...

Thank you; this helps.
    Try this:
    - Switch on C128 and IEC-ATA
    - Go to the C64-mode (not C128-mode)
    - remove JR
    - type load "$",30 ( -> the C128 will probably hang)
    - press STOP&RESTORE
    - type poke 56576,255 <return>
    - close JR
    - remove JR
    - wait about 20 seconds until the IEC-ATA-LED blinks (If the LED doesn't blink after 20s then there will be a bug and this will not work at all)
    - load and start SW-DEBUGTRANS, follow the instructions (If the screen isn't switched on after 20s then there will be a bug and this will not work at all)
    - Save the file to a disk and send it to me (NLQ@gmx.de).