Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 47k mal aufgerufen und enthält 204 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von Krill am

Schneller Trackloader

• Update: I tested TRACK1.PRG posted here and it does work on VICE but it does not work on real hardware and also does not work on emulate U2+ drive (with the same behaviour on real hardware).

A pity.. because track1.prg (differently from any other) can successfully load a big 183 block file ($801-BFFF).

Any chance you can make it work on real hardware too?

• Update:
    the reason why TRACK1.PRG does not work on real hardware is (again) the latching mechanism of $1C01.

The mechanism is missing totally from VICE (I told them repeatedly about this)

But it indeed exists on real hardware.

A solution could be to put #$41 in $1C0B to remove the latching, I tried it with your loader, it progresses but stops half way through the end.

Is there any chance you can modify TRACK1.PRG (which is perfect as it is) to work on real hardware.

As of today, the only fst loader able to load 183-200 blocks is GIGALOAD or a similar one. Everyone else incuding transwarp, is limited to smaller files hence needing compression.

• A solution could be to put #$41 in $1C0B to remove the latching

This may work on 1541-II (or shortboard 1541), as the latching is already done in the PLA.

On longboard 1541, you'll see the bits scroll through $1C01, which is most likely not what you want.

As of today, the only fst loader able to load 183-200 blocks is GIGALOAD or a similar one. Everyone else incuding transwarp, is limited to smaller files hence needing compression.

Transwarp can load files in the $0400-$D000 range, which is well over 202 blocks ($0801-$D000).

• The only defect of Transwarp is that it can't load from $800 to $FFF8.

The $E000..$FFFF range is where the RAM-installed Transwarp incarnation lives, and $D000-$DFFF is the IO area to access the serial bus while mapping the RAM at that range in and out to store the loaded data is not possible due to timing constraints.

The future cartridge-based Transwarp variant will be able to load to $E000+, but also not to $Dxxx, at least not without some slowdown when loading to that range.

My go-to workaround is to use Tinycrunch or some RLE contraption with a modification to pack *just* enough to get the file to end at $CFFF, leaving most of the file uncompressed (and its data in the original memory region), so it takes very little time to depack a few KB after RUN.

The best one I found is a loader that can load from $800 to $E900....

Still unbeatable.

It's a matter of speed. The faster the fastloader is, the more memory it needs, in general...

Except for my turbotape which can load all memory :P

.. and tape is always an order of magnitude slower than disk. =) (Plus you'd always want to store heavily-compressed files to tape for the shortest combined load+depack times.)