Hello, Guest the thread was viewed249 times and contains 1 reply

last post from LGB-Z at the

Updating ROMS on a C65 with a 2B motherboard

• I have a (real) C65 with an older rom (910417). Can I update the ROM to a newer (Commodore) one? Are there any hard requirements on specific DMA/etc chips for later ROMs?

(Most C65 demos I've downloaded from archive,org/etc and burned to disks don't work with this old a ROM.)

thanks!

• I have a (real) C65 with an older rom (910417). Can I update the ROM to a newer (Commodore) one? Are there any hard requirements on specific DMA/etc chips for later ROMs?

(Most C65 demos I've downloaded from archive,org/etc and burned to disks don't work with this old a ROM.)

thanks!

Not 100%, but as far as I remember, the ROM version 910522 and before requires C65 with the "older style" DMA chip (rev A). Newer ROMs require C65s with the newer DMA chips (rev B). Your version number seems to be the old one, thus I assume, your C65 hardware uses the older (rev A) chip. Since rev A and rev B are not even compatible, you cannot easily upgrade newer ROM, and I have the suspect this is also the reason you can't run many software written already for the C65 hardware uses the rev B DMA F018 chip. Again, as far as I remember about this situation ... Though you may upgrade the ROM to a slightly newer version (maybe 910522 is still works), but it won't help if the problem is the fact that software you want to run requires rev B DMA chip anyway ...