Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 62k mal aufgerufen und enthält 187 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von compyx am

VICE 3.5 has been released

• Zitat

I've updated the Gtk3-Windows code to support up to 8 HW controllers. Since I don't have Windows, or a lot of controllers, I cannot test this. So perhaps someone (aw182?) download the latest snapshot and try this out?

https://github.com/VICE-Team/svn-mirror/releases/tag/r40048

Works fine for me now. I've 2 joypads (one via Raphnet adapter and one with Bluetooth dongle) and Donalds 9pin joystick adapter plugged in. I can use both Competition Pro sticks without any problems. Though the detected IDs are still shown als Retro-Joystick#1 for both adapter (Donald) ports.

• I've updated the Gtk3-Windows code to support up to 8 HW controllers. Since I don't have Windows, or a lot of controllers, I cannot test this. So perhaps someone (aw182?) download the latest snapshot and try this out?

https://github.com/VICE-Team/svn-mirror/releases/tag/r40048

Works now! Finally!
    Good work! :thumbsup:

• Indeed, this solved the problem. :thumbup:

Now all connected controllers are selectable und working here on my hardware. Only with the controller, connected over the "Super Smartjoy" adapter, i have the little problem, that it is not possible in the GTK3 version so far, to choose, which button should be the C64 Firebutton. This means, all buttons are fire now, which leads to the problem, that i sometimes press one of the buttons by mistake, because it is a bit in the way.

Maybe sometime later, the functions "Select Firebutton" and "Autofire" from the native WinVICE version will be added also to the GTK3 Version, then the user can deactivate all the other buttons on the controller and choose only the one button, he wants to use on his respective controller.

But this is another thing, the main thing now is, that the "select controller" problem is fixed now. Thanks Compyx.

• I have noticed a strange effect on my PC in VICE today, when this demo here runs:

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=14789

While i can see no problem at all in HOXS or Denise, i have some problems, when i use latest GTK3VICE and also when i use WinVICE V3.2. And also, both emulators show a different problem-behaviour here. Therefore i thought, I'd bring it up here.

(1)

In GTK3VICE the demo runs normal, without any abnormalities, when the emulator is running in windowed mode. But when i go into fullscreen mode, in the upper scrolltext, there is a graphic problem, that looks like some shifted lines. But when i tried to make a screenshot, then in this picture the problem can not be seen, there everything is normal. Problems seems to be only visible while text scrolls through.

Therefore i recreated the problem by using MSPAINT. This is, how it looks, when the demo runs in fullscreen here on my PC. The problem i have marked.

This happens, no matter if i have set 50Hz or 60Hz for my screen-resolution (my monitor has no problem with 50Hz at all). When i have set 60Hz, it's even some more lines in this upper text, that are shifted. The picture shows, how it looks, when i had set 50Hz and when it's less shifted lines. But the problem strangly only appears in fullscreen-mode. When the emulator runs in window-mode, as i said before, no matter if 50Hz or 60Hz set, then there is no problem at all. Also i switched the speed-setting in GTK3VICE between 100% and 50FPS (99,75%), because i thought maybe this could help here, but this changes nothing.

(2)

And in native WinVICE, the behaviour with this demo is also strange here on my hardware, but completely different. There are no shifted lines at all, no matter if the emulator runs in fullscreen or window-mode, but while everything runs in normal speed in fullscreen-mode, i have only about 70% speed in this demo, when it runs in WinVICE's window-mode. Again it doesn't matter if i use a 50Hz or 60Hz screen-resolution. Even setting "skip every second frame" don't bring me the 100% speed in window-mode, which is the first time ever, that i see something like this in native WinVICE version. Normally everything runs in 100% speed without any frameskipping at all and here even with every second frame skipped i have no fullspeed, while the demo works without a problem in fullscreen-mode.

First time i saw a problem like this, that shows two different problems on my PC in two different VICE versions. Maybe someone has an idea what this demo specifically does, that could cause these problems? Also possible is, that on other PC's, maybe this demo runs normally? I am curious to hear, how it looks there.

• The shifted lines i have only in the fullscreen-mode of the GTK3 version, not in native WinVICE. There i have the problem, that i have no fullspeed in windowed-mode, while it runs normal in fullscreen-mode.

Tried the GTK3 version now also with -default in the commandline, but this changes nothing. This shifted lines i still see, when in fullscreenmode. Strange.

• No, they are always visible here in this demo, as long as i am in fullscreen-mode. Strange. When other users don't have this problem in the demo, then it must have something to do with

- my hardware-combination (PC/Monitor)

- something this demo does that other demos don't do

- and also with the GTK3 version of VICE somehow, because in the native WinVICE for example, i can not see those shifted lines.

But there i have no fullspeed, even not when i skip every second frame. Never had something like that so far. Odd behaviour, but only in this demo i have these things. :)

• It has nothing to do with filtering.The output image just isn't integer scaled. Hence the uneven scanlines look. Integer would be an exact multiple of the original C64 image (which leaves a small black border then, but it's "fixable" via a slightly border crop). Please check the Denise emulator, maybe then you unterstand what i mean. Integrer also means it would be a pixel perfect scaling :)

Look at the attached screenshots. Denise looks fine in 1440p, integer scaled. Even with a cropped border (to achieve mostly full screen without black border) it looks fine. GTKVice is slighly distorted (some lines seems darker due to the scaling).

I have added support for bicubic filtering that goes a long way towards solving this problem without resorting to integer based scaling. Would you be able to test a recent build and let me know what you think? VICE Snapshot Builds Bicubic filtering is now the default but if you weren't using the default before, you may need to explicitly enable it in Settings -> Display -> Host Display.

• This wasn't something i had in mind when i asked for that feature (Integer Scaling). Anyway, i can't use the "CRT" tab for setting up a proper scanlines look with your latest snapshot, clicking on it just quits the emulator completely. Looks like other tabs quits the emulator too (e.g. Sound or SID).

• This wasn't something i had in mind when i asked for that feature (Integer Scaling). Anyway, i can't use the "CRT" tab for setting up a proper scanlines look with your latest snapshot, clicking on it just quits the emulator completely. Looks like other tabs quits the emulator too (e.g. Sound or SID).

Strange, the latest snapshot build, and when building from source, works fine for me. Which snapshot build did you test, and did you get it from our GitHub releases page? What version of Windows are you running? Are you testing a clean unzip of the folder or was it copied over the top of another folder?

• One question. I tried the latest nightly (r400365) and i recognized, that in the Demo "Bromance" sometimes, when alot of graphics scrolls through the screen, i have some bad lines in the picture, similar to the thing i described here

VICE 3.5 has been released

Then, i sometimes also have minor jerks in the scrolling.

And i have a suspicion now, what could maybe cause this on my system. In WinVICE V3.2 and also in some of the older GTK3 versions, i don't have this problem and i think, it could have something to do with the frameskipping-function, because when it comes to those minor jerks, it looks like a little automatic frameskip to me. For the frameskipping-function, I always used Refresh-Rate "1/1" (which means - never skip a frame automatically) and with this setting, i had the smoothest and a better scrolling, than with "Auto" on my hardware here (BenQ BL912 monitor in 50Hz screenmode and 50FPS speed).

Normally you would think, that, if the PC is fast enough to display all frames anyway, then there will never be any automatic frameskips and the result should be the same, no matter if the user choose "1/1" or "Auto". But somehow, the scrolling was always better with the setting 1/1 than with Auto, even in older WinVICE versions this was the case (at least here on my monitor).

Now, since some GTK3 nightlies, the frameskipping-function is gone. But what is now set by default there, is it still "auto" (because this was always set by default in older versions and i always changed and saved it then) or is it "1/1"? And if "auto" is set now, how can the user change it back to 1/1?

• I looked again at this thing and it must also have something to do with the aspect-ratio setting. This is how it looks on my monitor when the scroller in "Bromance" demo is visible and when i have "keep aspect ratio on" (i marked the line with the problem)

And this is, how it looks, when i have "keep aspect ratio off". Then the shifted line is at another place in the picture:

Strange thing. I can set what i want in latest GTK3 nightly, but i can not make it, that this scroller runs through, without any visible shifted line-problem. Sometimes, like i mentioned before, are also some minor jerks in the scrolling, which should not happen in 50Hz screenmode and with 50FPS running speed.

Any idea, what could cause this problem? It must be something that is changed in some of the latest versions. Maybe it also has to do with the refresh-rate, that i mentioned in last entry, or it is something else? I compared it with an older GTK3VICE version on my PC (V3.4 r38641), which is configured exactly the same, and let the "Bromance" demo run there and i see no problem at all. No shifted lines and no minor jerks in the scroller. So it must be something, that was changed after this version.

• Maybe your video driver lies about VSync?

I am not sure, but possible. It is an onboard graphic-card but so far, no problem in other emulators with smooth scrolling and also not, and this is the thing that wonders me here, with older GTK3 versions, for example the mentioned V3.4 nightly.

Do you think, it could have someting to do with the refresh-rate? The skip-frames function is gone and what is set now by default, is it "1/1" or is it "Auto"? When it is "Auto", i think, this could be the problem here on my hardware.