Hello, Guest the thread was called242 times and contains 4 replays

last post from Freddy at the

An Open-Source fighter game for MEGA65 perhaps?

  • I put my name down for a MEGA65 DevKit tonight, and it got me thinking... I was nibbling on a c64 sf2-reu port in my limited spare time... Here's how that's looking so far:



    The idea in the back of my mind now is to perhaps make it an open-source project, swap out the artwork for my own "stick-man" art, and port it to the mega65, to aim for a modest open-source fighter game that anyone could contribute to, fork, or sniff around for ideas. Just feeling that having a few open-source game projects for mega65 might be a good way for us to learn from each other, how is this or that accomplished with the mega65.

    Well, for better or worse, I'll share what I have right now, in whatever horrible, disorderly, uncompilable, undocumented state it may be in right now.


    https://github.com/gurcei/megafighter


    So maybe if this tickles anybody's fancy, they'll ask some probing questions here, obliging me to document things better, make things less horrible and disorderly ;)

  • Will share more thoughts on the state of the project, off the top of my head:

    • Written in mostly c, some snippets of asm
    • I tend to do most of my development on an old macbook. I occasionally tried on windows, think it works ok there too
    • Last year, I manually extracted art frames from sprite sheet, manually hardcoded hitbox coordinates and animation details. A very dumb, manual, laborious way, but it got the job done for a single character (ryu).
    • I borrowed the pngprepare tool from the mega65 project (used to convert a png into a binary blob suitable for the c64), modifying it to make this graphical conversion of sprite frames from color png into monochrome
    • This year, my main goal was to try add another character (maybe ChunLi), but I wanted to do it a bit smarter with more tooling support, and less manual/harcoded efforts.
    • So inside the project, you'll find a "sf2tool.py" script, that can be used to more easily extract frames from sprite sheets, group frames into animations and adjist their animation details.

    [External Media: https://youtu.be/KEnA5nFcanE]


    I'm yet to add a mechanism into the tool to export this info into the data.reu file, nor is the game code ready to read in some of the new information the tool provides.


    I *think* the game is still in a compilable/runnable state, just uses the old hardcoded information.


    So hopefully, it'll be as easy as:


    1. Do a "git clone" of the project

    2. Run "make", then "make run"


    But who knows, maybe there'll be gotchyas and extra prereq steps I haven't foreseen.


    I think a year back, I made a feeble attempt to convert it to a mega65 project. Looks like I forgot to push my mega65 branch into the github repo, so I'll try do that soon. Don't think I got too far, perhaps just tweaked the Makefile to generate a .d81 file instead of a .d64 (and then wasn't quite sure what to do about my data.reu file, which I've asked about in another thread). Maybe I should reabse that mega65 branch with the latest master though.

  • Hi Gurce, that sounds very interesting and it's amazing, that you change your project to open source. Like 6581 already said: That's the spirit.

    Ii am certain, the MEGA65 will be able to handle the game perfectly.