Hello, Guest the thread was called1.2k times and contains 33 replays

last post from Matthias at the

MEGA65 Manual - typos / errors / suggestions

• Try to make a C65 Bible with 1500 pages (Hardware/Software examples with Userport, Expansionsport, ...) ... think big ;-)

I think that seperated manuals for these stuff would be better. E.g. a "BASIC programming guide" for the very beginners, an "assembler guide" and maybe a "technical manual" for the hardware people.

Who wants to hold an 1500 and more page book - besides some bodybuilder? ;)

• Try to make a C65 Bible with 1500 pages (Hardware/Software examples with Userport, Expansionsport, ...) ... think big ;-)

I think that seperated manuals for these stuff would be better. E.g. a "BASIC programming guide" for the very beginners, an "assembler guide" and maybe a "technical manual" for the hardware people.

Who wants to hold an 1500 and more page book - besides some bodybuilder? ;)

I think similar.

Let's spread te docu over several books, similar to the C128 (which had 3 booklets) or like early Fujitsu-Siemens PC-Systems.

One thin book, with description of the system, explaining the connections (VGA/HDMI/IEC/ETH/Joyports etc) Short description of EDIT/Monitor/Hypervisor and DOS-Basics (format, concat, scratch etc.pp)

Then one book about BASIC 10.0, with examples for Grafix and Sounds.

Then the Assembler-Book: Explaining the MONITOR in full, and introduction to Assembler-language, including a good written explanation of the memory management/manipulation (the 1MB CPU direct acces & the 8 MB DMAgic acces aka REC/REU).

And maybe some day: The MEGAgeos Manual ;-)

So

Book 1: Introduction in MEGA 65.

System description including pictures of connectors (in- and outside).

Description of the keyboard (including special keys) and Control-codes as well as ESC-Sequenses..

Description of EDITOR as a Seqfile editor.

Description of Hypervisor and how to use it.

Description of Config-Tool.

DOS-Basics (format/concat/scratch etc.pp) as well as how to load and run programmes (from

diskette as well as from SD).

Book 2: Programming the MEGA with BASIC 10.0

Book 3: Programming the MEGA in Assembler.

Full description of build-in MONITOR.

Introduction to assembler-language.

Explanation of memory management (1MB CPU RAM, 8 MB DMAgic RAM (REC/REU)).

Book 4: MEGA Geos (Geos for MEGA 65).

• Hello,

So we don't really disagree with both of your comments. What we are, is completely flat out collecting and formatting the information. Reordering chapters and making separate books etc is quite trivial, as we have used LaTeX with a separate file per chapter (or in some cases, multiple files for some chapters).

We would love for someone to step up into an editorial role for the book, to cast exactly this sort of vision, and then make sure it happens in practice. I say this because we totally agree that having fantastic, inviting documentation is vital for the success of the machine.

Who is willing to enter the mad house with us, and help out in this way?

LG

Paul

• Our goal is similar to what Commodore and Markt & Technik did with the C64.

1. step: we collect all information and put it together in one huuuge manual. (That's what you see at the moment).

Then our plan is, to:

2. step: extract some basic information out of the manual and strap this together in a small manual (like the one, the C64 was shipped with).
    At a later stage we then can:

3. step: bundle the manual in seperate books, like "MEGA65 intern", "Assembler with MEGA65", "Tips and Tricks", etc...

So, like Paul said, whoever wants to jump on the wild ride, please contact us. It's alot of fun, but also alot of work ! The benefit you earn ? You'll become part of MEGA65/C65 history !

And to everybody here: Thanks already for posting typos, ideas, suggestions, etc. !!! Please go on !

• As they say, if you want it done right, do it yourself :-)

The problem is my not so exhilarating english. I could arrange the book, and realign it, and also give comments to do things right, but not edit its content.

What the book needs is a lot of programming examples, with fascinating screenshots (a picture says more than 1000 words) :-)

According to the motto: Open your book... Wow, interesting!

It would be good if the MEGA65 already had the examples in memory. Maybe I can create a list of all examples I like to see, so that I can start programming a nice game :-)

I can say... If you have success to make it possible to write Network Multiplayer Games (easily), then it can be a hit.

• I agree with @Freddy and others, putting so much information in a single book is just too much. Such a large tome would be very inconvenient to use, not to mention printing it would be more troublesome.

IMHO all which is specific for BASIC 10 / C65 ROM should really be a separate book. If Open ROMs gains momentum and provides it's own BASIC extension (I don't think we should replicate BASIC V10, as it's geared towards C65 hardware - while Mega65 is much more powerful, with VIC IV, etc.), we'll then write one more book :)

• I agree with @Freddy and others, putting so much information in a single book is just too much. Such a large tome would be very inconvenient to use, not to mention printing it would be more troublesome.

IMHO all which is specific for BASIC 10 / C65 ROM should really be a separate book. If Open ROMs gains momentum and provides it's own BASIC extension (I don't think we should replicate BASIC V10, as it's geared towards C65 hardware - while Mega65 is much more powerful, with VIC IV, etc.), we'll then write one more book :)

Well, MEGA's OpenROM and it's MEGABasic would become Book 2a. ;-)

A little bit like the old Schneider/Amstrad PC1512/1640 wich had books for MS-DOS and DOSPlus aside with the GEM-Manual ;-)

• To separate the whole topics into separate Books I think is not a brilliant idea... because then you chop up the feeling of a spectacular thing.

I would make a "round" think with all necessary to get a good complete feeling, and "The Additional Books" for the "Pro Users". Again, I would make it like the C64 Handbook and a little bit more (also Assembler introduction and some examples).

• Manual Page 57:

To switch from C64 to C65 Mode, there is no official method. However the followingcommand. Note that this command does not ask you for confirmation!

SYS 58552

Missing words like -> switches from C64 to C65.

Manual Page 59:

So now that we have un-hidden those registers,we can change the colour of the background progressively from blue to purple, buy

increasing the red component of the colour that is normally blue on the C64.

Buy?

Manual Page 61:

last 128KB (BANK 4 and BANK 4) is however, completely free.

BANK 4 = Stereo?? ;-) I guess this should be BANK 4 and BANK 5...

Still proof reading, I'm now reading the BASIC 10 Chapter...

• Freddy thanks -- I have made those corrections

Now, back to the question of One Book To Bind Them All In Darkness or to instead have Three Books of Light: It's important to remember that for print multiple books makes sense, but for PDF, a single huge file is usually more convenient. With our LaTeX system, this is super easy to simultaneously produce, without having to duplicate a single page of content in the source files. That is, we can have both at essentially zero cost.

Matthias -- Don't worry about not having perfect english. The role we need at this stage is to have someone to currate the overall structure. If you have a vision for how the books should be structured, and are willing to help bring that to life, that would be very appreciated. We can find others to do the "low level" editing to support that.

LG

Paul.