Hallo Besucher, der Thread wurde 2,3k mal aufgerufen und enthält 18 Antworten

letzter Beitrag von kinzi am

1571 not working... after unboxing 30 years later! :-)

• The social distancing caused by Covid-19 response triggered me to remember I have a C64... :-)

I boxed it all up 30 years ago and it has always been in a closet inside my home. Good news is the c64 and 1581 work, and so do the few 3.5" disks I had for it.

I also have a 1571 and the drive was stored with the cardboard "head vibration protector" in place, but at some point the lever popped right back up so the lever was not down :-( The protector did not pop out though because that automatic "push out" mechanism in the 1571 was never reliable.

Anyway, the 1571 refuses to read most of the 5.25" floppies. I can't even get to the directory listing on most. On some of them, I can get to the directory listing but unable to load any programs. This includes original game and utilties disks as well as my own memorex disks. Not sure if the floppies are dead (magnetic information/properties gone) or if the drive is the culprit. I do have a few blanks which I formatted 30 years ago and the drive seems to be ok reading the directory listing from those most times. I have not yet tried saving something to these blanks and seeing if I can read it back out.

I did pop the top off the drive and cleaned the heads with some alchohol and a q-tip. But it did not make much difference, if any. Any ideas on what to try?

• Having the disk (or the protector) in the drive does nothing to relieve the pressure that the mechanics put onto the head. The spring might be one issue but you can bend it slightly to make it work again. The more likely problem is, that the metal stripes that are holding the top head are broken now. I've made a little (german) video that shows what happens if you don't put a disk in the drive and/or don't close it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8jR4B4e3U

Edit: If the spring is the problem, you can take a coin or some small metal part and stick it onto the head with some tape to press it down a little more. If the drive starts reading after that, it's the spring. In that case, remove the weight again and bend the spring to increase the pressure onto the head. Just be careful not to break it.

• JamiroDrache & EgonOlsen71 : Thanks for your responses! I am unfortunately not gifted with the understanding of the german language so I could not understand the video, other than I know you were pointing at the head, metal balancers on either side of it and the spring :-)

I verified that the two metal tabs/balancers are still intact, though maybe the one on the right (when looking at the drive from the front towards the rear) is a slightly bent. The spring over the head seems to push the head down far enough because the plastic black lever on the left of the head comes down pretty much as far as the rail it rides on.

If the problem is indeed with the top head, then shouldn't I be able to read the other side of the disk with the bottom head without problem? Is there a way to test that? Sorry, can't remember much from 30 years ago! Enough that I remember what LDA $80 does! :-)

• I had a drive with a faulty spring myself and it failed to read anything until I adjusted the spring's tension. You can't really tell if it's right or not just by looking at it, I'm afraid. As mentioned, take one or two metal coins or pieces and place them on top of the head (make sure that they don't fall off somehow). If that changes the drive's behaviour, then it's most likely the spring that needs adjustment.

• EgonOlsen71 : Hab mir dein Video angesehen. Was mir nicht einleuchtet: wieso sollte ein ständiger Druck bewirken, dass eine Feder oder ein Metallstreifen bricht? Dann ist das Metall doch nur etwas gebogen? Lässt nicht ein häufiges Hin- und Herbewegen von Metall eine Bruchstelle entstehen?

Dr.Fred : you can try to translate the automatically added german subtitles to englisch. This might be helpfull.

• wieso sollte ein ständiger Druck bewirken, dass eine Feder oder ein Metallstreifen bricht?

Beim Verriegeln des Laufwerks wird der obere Kopf auf die Diskettenoberfläche abgesenkt. Die dafür nötige Federmechanik befindet sich nur dann in einem entspannten Zustand, wenn eine Disk im Laufwerk liegt und das Laufwerk verriegelt ist (das Laufwerk leer zu verriegeln, reicht nicht aus). Wenn das Laufwerk für längere Zeit unverriegelt bleibt, können durch die Dauerbelastung der Federn Defekte auftreten:

• Das Halteblech kann seitlich einreißen bzw. brechen, da es bei unverriegeltem Laufwerk ständig einseitig belastet wird.
    • Die Andruckfeder kann an Kraft verlieren. Dieser Fehler ist durch vorsichtiges Nachbiegen relativ einfach zu reparieren.

Gebrauchtgeräte, die zum Teil jahre- oder jahrzehntelang unverriegelt gelagert wurden, haben oft einen dieser Fehler. Um die Fehler zu verhindern, empfiehlt es sich, immer eine Disk im Laufwerk liegen zu haben und das Laufwerk zu verriegeln.

Auf der Wiki.Seite gibt es auch noch ein Foto.

"Wenn du überredet, ermahnt, unter Druck gesetzt, belogen, durch Anreize gelockt, gezwungen, gemobbt, bloßgestellt, beschuldigt, bedroht, bestraft und kriminalisiert werden musst. Wenn all dies als notwendig erachtet wird, um deine Zustimmung zu erlangen, dann kannst du absolut sicher sein, dass das, was angepriesen wird, nicht zu deinem Besten ist." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Steve Jobs hat User hervorgebracht, Jack Tramiel Experten." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Mein Herr, ich teile Ihre Meinung nicht, aber ich würde mein Leben dafür einsetzen, dass Sie sie äußern dürfen." - Voltaire.

"Diskutiere nie mit einem Idioten - er zieht dich auf sein Niveau hinunter und schlägt dich dort mit seiner Erfahrung!" - Volksweisheit.

• Weil die Belastung eher knapp über der Belastungsgrenze liegt, vermute ich, sodass die Dauerbelastung zur Zerstörung führt, eine kurzzeitige Belastung aber gerade nicht.

Ich nehme mal an, wenn du einen einseitig eingespannten Eisenträger hast mit Belastungsgrenze "x" kg und an diesen ( x + 10 % ) kg hängst, dann reißt der auch nicht gleich, verformt sich aber während 30 Jahren wohl sichtbar und wird vielleicht auch zerstört. Ich bin aber kein Kaltverformungsspezialist. ^^

"Wenn du überredet, ermahnt, unter Druck gesetzt, belogen, durch Anreize gelockt, gezwungen, gemobbt, bloßgestellt, beschuldigt, bedroht, bestraft und kriminalisiert werden musst. Wenn all dies als notwendig erachtet wird, um deine Zustimmung zu erlangen, dann kannst du absolut sicher sein, dass das, was angepriesen wird, nicht zu deinem Besten ist." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Steve Jobs hat User hervorgebracht, Jack Tramiel Experten." - Quelle unbekannt.

"Mein Herr, ich teile Ihre Meinung nicht, aber ich würde mein Leben dafür einsetzen, dass Sie sie äußern dürfen." - Voltaire.

"Diskutiere nie mit einem Idioten - er zieht dich auf sein Niveau hinunter und schlägt dich dort mit seiner Erfahrung!" - Volksweisheit.

• Ich will das Problem nicht aberkennen, aber das physikalische Prinzip dahinter ist mir nicht klar. Wieso sollte eine dauerhafte mechanische Belastung, in der nichts bewegt wird, zum Reißen des Blechs führen?

(Hervorhebung von mir)

Ich nehme an(!), dass die durch die Jahreszeiten verursachten Temperaturunterschiede auch eine gewisse Mitschuld tragen: Einem unbelastenen Blech wären die wohl egal, aber bei Dauerbelastung führen die vielleicht zu einem Emüdungsbruch.

EDIT: ...und dass $User in jugendlichem Übermut den Hebel mit Schmackes hat hochschnappen lassen, gab es ja auch noch.

• I tried the coin(s) but it did not work. :-(

I also dissassembled the head and straightened the metal sheets that provide a bit of balance to the top half of the head and put it all back together but nothing changed... Yes, I know I probably should not have done that but it wasn't working anyway, so I did not have much to lose :-)

• That wasn't a good idea, because now the upper head also needs to be correctly alligned again....

I think it would be best if you send it to someone for repair like Parser or anyone else who has some experience with these drives.

I have also repaired a couple of them, which had the problem of a a bent upper head metal sheet from leaving the drive open, and it can be fixed almost always, even if the metal is already slightly broken!

But you need a bit experience with it and with drive repairs in general.

Still, the 5.25 drives are easier to repair and align, than 3.5 ones. ;)

• U totally lost a 1571!!! :(

There are still chances for a "1571-rebuild", ain't there - Thorsten Kattanek ? :-D